Attempts to modify permanent entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grantp

Contributor
Hi,

I have got Plex Media Server installed on my FreeNAS box. The install worked and everthing has been OK. It allocated itself IP Address 192.168.0.4. Last couple of days Plex has suddenly gone unreachable giving '
Failure: 404 Not Found' when trying to connect to Plex.

Looking at the console when this happens I have the following error msg.

2.jpg

The only way I can get Plex back is via reboot, but within a few hours it happens again. Could someone please point me in right direction to fixing this problem. I have tried changing the plex jail IP to something else but I still don't get Plex back.

Many thanks Grant

D

dlavigne

You need to reserve the IP address being used by the plex server on the network's DHCP server (or router).

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
As stated above you need to configure your jails to not use the dhcp range type router uses. Or change the dhcp range on your router.

Grantp

Contributor
Thanks for replys I've reserved IP in the DCHP IP Lease Table. I'll see how it goes.
I've been running Plex on that IP for 12 months now any idea why it should suddenly start causing problems?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The reason why this happens is because that's how things work. The reason they work this way I'd consolidated but basically you had an ip conflict on your network. And s since jails don't use dhcp it didn't update the router telling the router what I put had so the router handed out that IP again.

Grantp

Contributor
I am still getting the same msg coming up. Plex keeps disappearing (IE can't get to it remotely)
Router setting are like this

DCHP IP Lease Table - Device Name = Plex, Mac Address, IP = 192.168.0.4, Expires = Reserved
Port Forwarding - Name = Plex, Port Range = 21203, Protocol = TCP&UDP, IP = 192.168.0.4, Enabled = Yes

When I connect locally to Plex Server under Connections it says 'Signed In as 'My E-Mail Address' 'Server is mapped to port 21203'

When I go to https://plex.tv/servers and log in it shows My Server as being up and a list of my libraries. It shows my public IP Address and also states Port = 21203.

Plex has been working great for months then last couple of days this has been happening.

Are my settings correct? Sorry but I am a complete NOOB at this sort of thing, I can follow setup instructions but don't totally understand what I am doing, and as for fault finding I'm at a total loss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Grantp

Contributor
Ok I think (HOPE) that I have sorted my problem. My HTC One Android phone was also connecting to 192.168.0.4 thats the MAC Adress in the above screen shot. I have now given the phone a static IP address so I'm hoping that has sorted my problems.
I am slightly confused as I thought DCHP allocated an un-used IP address in it's given range or am I talking my usual misinformed garbbage.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
DHCP assumes that when you set a range of IPs for it to use you won't set static IPs. Honestly, it sounds like you've not actually fixed the problem and someday another device is going to be assigned your phone's new IP and you'll be right back where you are right now. WHy not fix the problem once and for all by properly setting up DHCP and static IPs?

Grantp

Contributor
Thanks for info cyberjock, I assumed DHCP checked to make sure it was allocating an unused IP, rather than just a random number used or not. Anyway I would love to properly set up my network/DHCP/IP Addresses etc but I'm not really sure what properly entails. I bought a Netgear ProSafe GS108T (Managed Switch) a couple of months ago with the aim of tidying everything up getting it working correctly, but I never got round to finding any good information / YouTube videos that detail in simple steps what setting it all up properly really means. Can you suggest some fool proof Network / DHCP etc networking guides that will get me set up right.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
How would DHCP know if an IP was unused?

The algorithm is simple:

1) You give DHCP a list of addresses to hand out.
2) DHCP hands out those addresses, keeping track of what it has assigned, when, etc.

How can DHCP possibly know whether or not an IP address is already used? Are you proposing that it should ... ping the address? Not everything responds to ping. Check the local ARP table? A DHCP server doesn't have to be on the local network. Etc. There aren't good general solutions to the problem.

At the end of the day, IP network management requires that you manage your IP network. So to fix this particular issue you need to find out what range is being handed out by DHCP and then up in your brain make a note to neverevereverever wire those IP addresses into a device statically.

Grantp

Contributor
Thanks jgreco, My ignorance is highlighted once again, I have no really knowlegde of how networking things really work (but very slowly learning). So at the moment my DHCP setting in my router are

LAN IP
IP Address - 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

DHCP
DHCP - Enabled
IP Address - 192.168.0.2 to 254
Max Users - 253
Lease Time - 1 Day

So if I set Ip Address Range from 192.168.0.200 to 254 giving me Max Users - 55 then if I set up a static IP for anything never using 200 - 254 I shouldn't encounter this problem again.
Am I correct in my thinking/understanding??

Status
Not open for further replies.