Atom C2558 + A1SRM-2558F FreeNAS Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDKRUSH

Explorer
Oops almost forgot. The encrypted drives are connected to the onboard Marvell SATA 3 ports. The non encrypted are connected to the onboard Intel SATA 3 ports.

Harsesis

Explorer
Did you maessure the power consumption of the board? I've read a review that the consumption is quite a bit higher than of other boards with the same atom becaus of the used sata-controller etc..

Also did you check the CPU utilization while accessing the cifs share? Would be quite interesting to know how many reserves are left!

MDKRUSH

Explorer
I don't have anything to measure power consumption. Is there a way to view CPU in freenas?

Harsesis

Explorer
You could use top for it. "top -P" should let you view the cpu usage on a per node level. Not sure if there are better ways, but that should work.

MDKRUSH

Explorer
Could you give me step by step instructions?

Harsesis

Explorer
I think the easiest way is to use the webinterface. For that simply click the "shell" link in the menu and enter "top-P" which should give you an overview of the active procceses on on the bottom and a per core CPU usage at the top.

Another way is to use SSH:
1. Enable the ssh unter services in the webinterface
2. Connect to the box using a ssh client (for example putty using windows)
3. Login using your login information
4. Enter "top -P" in the console

MDKRUSH

Explorer

Harsesis

Explorer
Nice, thank you! But did you use the -P parameter after top?

rfs830

Cadet
I will have to keep and eye on this. this board looks great for for a freenas build. thanks for doing the testing

MDKRUSH

Explorer
Harsesis - I tried the -P but it gave me an error.. I can try it again... So I type this exactly "top -P"?

MDKRUSH

Explorer
Also I had to update the IPMI and it cleared the VCCM warning... All good now. Today I got my 2nd 8gig stick of ram and my 3 2tb drives. I'm trying to think of a good reason to leave work so I can go install everything...

MDKRUSH

Explorer
Starpulkka, I can run one, but you would need to let me know how to start one "Now" and how to time it... I have always let them run on Sunday AM so I never ran one manually before...

MDKRUSH

Explorer
As a side note that is just cool. To others that are "true sever" nubies like myself, IPMI is great. I updated it with the PC off... You can still connect to the GUI and do anything you like... Before this I never knew such a cool thing existed... I was telling my wife that I could put it up in the attic and do all that I need to do, rebooting, trouble shooting etc. She suggested that I actually put it in the attic... I declined...

Harsesis

Explorer
MDKRUSH: that should normaly work... what is the exact error message you get?

Starpulkka

Contributor
Mdk well im happy if you just type on console zpool status and look how long last scrub did take, and you would estimate how full pool was in Tb. I have no idea how many hours on that board it would take, but i can buy same board at local store now, so im fairly intrested on that.

MDKRUSH

Explorer
I will give it a try soon. I had to put in my new drives and additional ram (was at 8 now 16) in so I will test it soon and let you know... I did have some trouble getting transmission to install properly... It was not related to my equipment according to others having same issues. Now everything is working. Again, IPMI is soo cool. I took off the front of my 304 case and have no switches or lights, I power it on with IPMI... Also the fans have less in the way with the front off... I will try and get some pictures soon... It is really slick... I also broke down and ordered 16 more gb of ram... Woot!

MDKRUSH

Explorer

MDKRUSH

Explorer
Is 2hrs and 42 min good for a scrub? I have never checked before on other hardware... What is an acceptable time for a scrub to take?

Starpulkka

Contributor
Its ok time for a slow few hdd's and tiny low power machine. Im just used to it that scrubs are done in overnight, as for avoton it "looks" like that it would take 16h instead of 6h. But your hdds are so different than my that its not even a good comparison and scrub times will be certainly not be accurate on 7tb scenario..
Thank you for provided information. Certainly do recommend avaton to my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.