Atom C2558 + A1SRM-2558F FreeNAS Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

rovan

Dabbler
Hi Guys,

Been doing some research into new low power components for a NAS Build,

Does anyone know if Intel Atom C2558 can work with FreeNAS? Is atom 2.4Ghz enough horsepower? No De-Dupe/AES/Possibly Compression.
http://ark.intel.com/products/77983/Intel-Atom-Processor-C2558-2M-Cache-2_40-GHz?wapkw=c2558

It is a pretty new chip, I found it in this Supermicro Board
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Atom/X10/A1SRM-2558F.cfm

64GB DDR3 ECC Support
2.4GHz Quad Core @ 15w
2x Quad GBe
6 onboard SATA Ports (2x Sata3, 4xSata2)
2 PCIe Slots
Onboard GPU
IPMI (for headless operation)

Seems like it ticks a lot of boxes and should be low power usage as well...

Only thing I can't find is a price :p, Discussion Welcome ^^

MDKRUSH

Explorer
I ordered one and its supposed to arrive today. :)

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I ordered one and its supposed to arrive today. :)

Please let us know if you make it work - so far the general response to Avoton's has been "Great in theory, but they don't boot FreeNAS."

See thread here.

MDKRUSH

Explorer
I just moved everything over to it and booted up and worked great! I know it is not the best idea but I just wanted to try... Raidz1 4 750gb hd's encrypted transfer to windows was 86 to 95 mps... I like it!

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I just moved everything over to it and booted up and worked great! I know it is not the best idea but I just wanted to try... Raidz1 4 750gb hd's encrypted transfer to windows was 86 to 95 mps... I like it!

Big news. Are you running 9.2.0-release or one of the newer RC/nightly builds?

MDKRUSH

Explorer
yes 9.2... However I may have spoken too soon... I am having a little trouble with the onboard nics... At first I didn't get a connection and put in an intel gb card to test and that worked great. Now I updated the bios to 1.80 and it is still not working with the onboard nics...

MDKRUSH

Explorer

MDKRUSH

Explorer

MDKRUSH

Explorer

MDKRUSH

Explorer

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Awesome results from such a little board.

Re: the NICs, it looks like the driver for them isn't in the image, it's been reported as a bug with a target of 9.2.1 for integration, but in thecomments field the submitter notes he's gotten it working by manually loading the updated 2.4.0 module from the Intel driver pack (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22283)

Mind if I ask what that cost you to buy? The similar A1SAM-2750F is showing around $370 for me.

MDKRUSH

Explorer
The onboard nic is working now... I got it from Newegg for $372.99

MDKRUSH

Explorer

MDKRUSH

Explorer

MDKRUSH

Explorer
that is with FTP though...

Nindustries

Patron
Thanks for the screencasts MDKRUSH, the long awaited evidence is here! :cool:
The IPMI looks slick indeed.

To come back on this, I do wonder why you're only getting 86-95 MBps. Wasnt encryption updated to have near native speeds?

MDKRUSH

Explorer
It was about the same speed with and without. These 750gb drives are SATA 2 also... I will do more testing when my new drives arrive. :)

MDKRUSH

Explorer
Okay. Been playing around. I have 2 raid z1 arrays. One is encrypted and one is not, according to WINDOWS they are about the same speed using CIFS. The lowest I have seen with CIFS is about 85 mbps although it did not stay there, it was just a dip. On average I get 90 to 100 copying a single movie file 3+ gb. Goofing around I transferred the same movie to both at the same time, the encrypted was at 60 +/- and other was 50+/-. Also only running 8gb of ECC ram... ( more on order :)

Status
Not open for further replies.