ATA Status Error - 41 (DRDY ERR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_JW24

Cadet
Hi all,

First post here and I'm a complete newbie to this, so I apologise first off!

My colleague had set up a NAS for our marketing department a few months ago. Unfortunately last week the NAS was disconnecting and CIFS and Directory Services were dropping out, despite there not being a problem with the network.

As it keeps disconnecting, I have begun transferring the files on the HDDs to another HDD on a PC. I've still got a few more files to transfer, but am now getting an error 0x8007003b when trying to transfer any file of any size.

I have looked at the NAS (HP Microserver) and can see it is repeatedly getting an ATA Status Error 41 (DRDY ERR).

I have taken the 2 x 2TB HDD out of the NAS and put them into a PC. Although is recognises the HDD, I cannot view the files. Unfortunately my colleague is off for the next couple of weeks so I cannot ask for his help!

I have no idea what this is but I assume this might be what is causing the disconnection and failure to transfer files across? Please could someone help me on this?

Many thanks,

Rich

sremick

Patron
You are not going to be able to read those drives in the PC as they are formatted either UFS or ZFS and need to work together in a specific way. Likely at least one of the drives has failed. Recovery will need to be done within the FreeNAS box, using FreeNAS itself and the drive replacement features and procedures built into it. That's what FreeNAS is for.

Since it's only 2 drives, we hope it was set up as a mirrored pair. If it was just a single big volume then you are out of luck and your data is gone. If it was a mirrored pair, we hope that at least 1 drive is perfectly functional and doesn't get a single read error during the resilvering process after you replace the failed drive in the HP Microserver.

Although I could point you to the relevant generic instructions, doing this replacement without the involvement of someone familiar with how your unique server was set up, and familiarity with FreeNAS in-general, is a frightening concept. If there is absolutely no way to get in-touch with your colleague, I'd seriously weigh the cons of just waiting a few weeks until he returns versus totally hosing all your data when it might have otherwise been a recoverable situation. Now is not the time for a crash course in FreeNAS if you've never used it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.