Asus p8Z77 mainboard, no passthrough available ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hman

Cadet
Hello,

I'm not new to Freenas, I'm using it for some years now for our Backupservers. Now I recycled some hardware that I have and build up a new server on an Asus P8z77 mainboard with 32GB Ram and a Avago/LSI SAS 9300 4i4e controller to which 4 x 6TB datacenter edition disks are connected. I installed ESXi 6.7 on an SSD and have installed Freenas as a VM.

My problem is that I cannot access the disks in Freenas because the ESXi is not allowing me to passthrough the LSI PCIs controller. I have updated Firmware and Bios of the LSI controller to the latest IT version, but nothing helps.

I also tried this: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...e-x10sl7-f-motherboard-sata-controller.51843/ but the controller is still not available for Passthrough in the ESXi Webinterface.

Does anyone know how to fix that problem?

Many thanks.

Hman

Cadet
Yes. The solution is the following: for Esxi 6.7 you don't need passthrough for the LSI SAS 9300 4i4e controller. On older Esxi versions this was necessary as you could not directly assign a disk to a virtual machine. When setting up Freenas in the Esxi web interface all you need to do is to add the raw disks to your VM, then they will be available to the Freenas OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.