ESXi 5.1, FreeNAS 8.20, Adaptec 5805 - No Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisT

Cadet
I'm trying to set up FreeNAS 8.20 as a guest client on a new ESXi 5.1 host. I'm using a new Adaptec 5805 controller set up in JBOD mode. I have the Adaptec set up in passthrough mode in ESXi. Everything seems to be ok, except that I cannot see any drives.

As a test, I removed the PCI device from the FreeNAS client. Once that was complete I created a Win 7 VM and assigned the passthrough to it. After the Win 7 OS installed and I loaded the Adaptec drivers onto it I could see each of the drives. This tells me that passthrough in ESXi is working (at least for win clients)

So is there a trick to getting FreesNAS to recognize the drives?

DennisT

Cadet
Figured it out - I didn't have the driver installed (even though the bootup did indicate there was a 5805 controller installed). Using Todd's post in this thread: http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?1564-Adding-driver-support-for-Adaptec-RAID-6805

I was able to get the driver to install. My install steps were slightly different, as I have a x64 install:

- Download the latest FreeBSD driver file (tgz) from Adaptec.
- Extract aac8x-amd64.tgz from the tgz file & place on msdos USB drive.
- insert usb drive into server.
- with client powered down add usb drive to client (Edit Settings – Hardware). Need to have USB controller added first.
- boot FreesNAS client
- Selected option 9 from the main menu to go to the FreeNAS shell
- mkdir /tmpusb
- mount –uw /
- mount -t msdosfs /dev/da1s1 /tmpusb
- cd /tmpusb
- pkg_add /tmpusb /aac8x-amd64.tgz
- umount /tmpusb
- rmdir /tmpusb
- reboot

Still need to remove usb from client's hardware list (client has to be shut down).

pbucher

Contributor
Just a heads up, I was doing just about the same thing. I had compiled the aac driver from Adaptec's source with a 5804 and was loading the module and it was working fairly well. I did however have problems with not being able to shutdown the server it would hanging while trying to shutdown the aac driver. It would also hang from time to time. I ended up making physical raw drivers in ESXi and adding them to the VM. I benchmarked both ways and found I lost very little performance. I was able to export switch between the two methods without having to rebuild the zfs vol.

Post back in a couple of weeks if this works for you and maybe I'll give it another try(I was trying it with a early beta of 8.3). The physical raw driver setup is not supported by VMware and is a bit of a hack and I'd rather go back to doing it in a slightly less hacked up fashion. Also post what Firmware version your using, I've found the FreeBSD drivers from vendors to be very specific to the firmware version.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you simply needed to add the Adaptec drivers, why not put in a ticket at support.freenas.org to have the drivers added? Then the drivers will be automatically included in all future released for you as well as anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.