Aquantia® AQC-111C 5G LAN not working

kb133

Cadet
Was unsure who to ask. Somewhat new to trunas but to start off, I am using a ASUS deluxe ii x299 motherboard and I want to use the Aquantia® AQC-111C 5G LAN connector on the board but trunas doesn't find the port. It works fine with the onboard 1gb Intel nic but I will be going to 2.5g switches on the network soon and will need the faster port. I don't know trunas very well and would like a walk through on how to set this nic up. I read some where you had to add or load the driver but am unsure how to go about doing that. For the full equipment list I am using and the setup, (yes I could buy a intel card but I am using all the PCI-E 16X slots as you will see) full build is: ASUS deluxe ii, x299 main board, Intel 10900x cpu 10 cores 20 threads 40 PCI-E lanes, 128gb 3200mhz memory (8 slots full), LSI 9207-8i SAS PCI-E card in 1st PCI-E 16X slot, 4 slot mvme card in PCI-E 16X slot 2 (will use 2 in mirror for log files X2 for two different pools), small video card in PCI-E 16X slot 3,(I might be able to move this card to a 1X Pcie slot) there are 3 mvme sockets on the board socket 1 will be a mvme 16mb Intel optaine drivefor the trunas boot drive, the 2nd socket will have a Intel 16gb optane drive for extra cache drive if needed, and the 3rd socket open at this time. Any advice or recommendations would help I have searched online and just can't seem to find the right answer for using the 5G nic. The server is up and running, I just want to be able to use the 5gb nic. currently running 3 pools one pool is 6 2tb wd red (CMR) drives zfs 1 the 2nd pool is 2 WD Red 4tb (SMR) drives zfs 1, the 3rd pool is 2 1tb SSD striped (just for fun) and the last one in 1 128gb SSD that i want to install and host my own team speak on. I have no idea how to set that up on trunas so a walkthrough on that would be great also any help on any of this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Arwen

MVP
TrueNAS is more appliance firmware, than general OS with NAS functions. Adding a driver for an unsupported device is problematic. Even if you get it added and working, any update will likely make the change disappear.

Do you mean ZFS SLOG when you say "log files"?

ZFS SLOG have a specific purpose, Synchronous writes only, like iSCSI or NFS. Not general purpose usage.

ZFS does not do well with SMR drives, and their are numerous cases where Western Digital Red SMR drives gave problems during usage. Not to mention scrubs and drive replacements take longer, sometimes WAY too long. In essence, SMR drives are in-compatible with ZFS. They might work, and work for months or years, but tend to have problems the longer you use them.

It is helpful to use ZFS terminology. I can guess when you say "zfs 1" you mean RAID-Z1, (similar to RAID-5). But, you could have meant Mirroring, (similar to RAID-1). Striped for your SSD pool is the correct wording.

I don't have a list of suggested reading handy. Others may be able to help in that regard. You can also look at the Resources, (at the top of the Forum web pages), for various targeted Articles various forum members have written. Some cover a few of your questions, or items like ZFS Terminology. Some of the forums also have Sticky threads with good information.

kb133

Cadet
Thanks for your reply and yes to both your reply questions, yes on the log ZFS SLOG and yes i understand on the SMR wd drives i knew that going in that is why i posted that they were SMR. and also yes they are raid -Z1 just trying to save some typing lol. i have plenty of pcie lanes left so i think i will get a Intel 1X pcie nic and just forget the Aquantia one built on the board. so the only help i need left is point me in the right direction on where to stat on how to setup team speak server on truenas is it jailes i need or something else ?

Arwen

MVP
Great, you are better prepared than some new TrueNAS users.

I think someone did get a non-standard Ethernet NIC driver installed. That is something I don't follow, so I don't know. If you do follow that route, understand it may disappear after updating TrueNAS. But, if you document your steps carefully, you can simply repeat after each update.

Sorry, I know nothing about "team speak server". You might check the TrueNAS SCALE forums and see if their is mention of an App implementation. While TrueNAS SCALE is newer and undergoing lots of changes, it may support your Aquantia NIC & "team speak server". For non-critical NAS servers, SCALE could be an option for you.

kb133

Cadet
as far as team speak it is just a program that runs on a server i just am unsure how to setup trunas so it can host programs i know how to setup the team speak host. in trunas i am just unsure what a jail is and some of the other things are

NugentS

MVP
You mention Jails - so must be using Core

Spin up a jail, that you manually create and then install TeamSpeak in that

kb133

Cadet
ok next issue now I'm looking for a new network card that works with truenas 2.5gb or faster but can only use a 1X slot card does anyone have a suggestion for this

Davvo

MVP

I don't think you will find something tested/proven here that fits a 1X slot.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I don't think you will find something tested/proven here that fits a 1X slot.

That's true. There are a lot of Intel i225/i226 class PCIe x1 cards available, but the question will be which ones have driver support, and me here without the latest TrueNAS loaded on any machines, sigh.