Timeout on slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotland

Cadet
Hope you guys can help.

I've set up my freenas box but am having some problems with the timeout on slot error.

It occurs when moving data to the NAS. I'm doing this through CFIS and it manages about 1 gig then the timeout errors start. It does then contine to transfer but eventually comes to a grinding halt.

The timeouts are for two drives which are connected through a mini pci-e SATA board. It does appear to be supported by FreeBSD(http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=24929) and I can create a pool with no problems.

From reading around it appears to be a ahci related problem. I have tried with the ahci setting on my mobo(Zotac NM10-E-E) set to ahci and ide but the error still occurs. I am not sure if this changes the ahci mode for the pci-e card though? Maybe this is the source of the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

tingo

Contributor
Did you try changing sata cables on the two drives in question?

ProtoSD

MVP
Hope you guys can help.

I've set up my freenas box but am having some problems with the timeout on slot error.

It occurs when moving data to the NAS. I'm doing this through CFIS and it manages about 1 gig then the timeout errors start. It does then contine to transfer but eventually comes to a grinding halt.

The timeouts are for two drives which are connected through a mini pci-e SATA board. It does appear to be supported by FreeBSD(http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=24929) and I can create a pool with no problems.

From reading around it appears to be a ahci related problem. I have tried with the ahci setting on my mobo(Zotac NM10-E-E) set to ahci and ide but the error still occurs. I am not sure if this changes the ahci mode for the pci-e card though? Maybe this is the source of the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Did you check and make sure the firmware for it has been updated? You're right, it is usually related to ahci mode and setting it for the motherboard won't affect the card. Usually during the power on sequence you'll see a message from the controller telling you how to enter its configuration menu, see if you can catch that message, or look in the manual where it should tell you how to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.