Another X11 Skylake build: i3-6100 good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grogthegreat

Cadet
The last time I tried FreeNAS was back when 7.X was new. Ended up getting two drives failures in my 6x1TB raidz. After loosing 5TB I ended up moving away from FreeNAS to a raid6 array off of a LSI raid card. I didn't learn my lesson about backups and I'm now recovering data from the failed raid6....

So time to get serious about backups. Time to look at FreeNAS again. For now it will backup data from a new SAS raid6 and in a couple of months it will serve VMs to two hosts over fiber channel.

Current/planned hardware:
Case: Supermicro CSE-826E1-R800LPB (12 bay with 3Gb SAS expander in backplane)
Motherboard: X11SSL-F
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) of Crucial ECC DDR4 UDIMM
CPU: i3-6100
HBA: LSI SAS 9212-4i4e (plus a reverse breakout cable to connect to backplane)
HDDs: I plan on a large pool made of mirrors for VM performance and easier expansion/maintenance down the road. Right now I have: 6 3TB drives and 6 1TB drives which should give me 12TB usable from 6 stripped mirrors.

Expansion plans:
Fiber channel: QLogic QLE2564 cards are reasonable and I can run host to host and avoid a $$ switch
SLOG: A SSD on one of the motherboards SATA3 ports is probably needed when hosting a lot of VMs over fiber channel.
More space: The SAS 8088 port on the 9212-4i4e should let me connect up another SAS JBOD chassis if needed.

Questions for the smart people on the forum:

CPU: I don't plan to run plex or other jails. Just serve tons of fast data. Will this i3 CPU be okay? There seems to be a large price jump to go from a i3 6100 to an E3-1220 v5. I know that I can upgrade down the road.

Boot drive: v9.10 supports USB booting on Skylake. Go with USB or 16GB SATA DOM?

RAM: My 24TB HDD space means 24GB of ram plus the 8GB base equals 32GB suggested. Realistically, will I need to add more ram if I start replacing the 1TB mirrors with 4TB drives and increase my space? The ability to go over 32GB of memory was my main reason to pick an X11 board.

Other: Any suggestions or concerns over the proposed build? It has been a long time since I've touched FreeNAS. It has come a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.