SOLVED Another CIFS/Samba issue... FAILED sanity check and no smb.config

Status
Not open for further replies.

TremorAcePV

Explorer
So I keep getting a FAILED when a sanity check is done on my Samba configuration, so I do this:

Code:
[root@FREENAS ~]# testparm /usr/local/etc/smb.conf      

Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb.conf                             
max_open_files: increasing sysctl_max (11095) to minimum Windows limit (16384) 
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (11095) to minimum Windows limit (16384)     
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/usr/local/etc/smb.
conf":                                                                         
        No such file or directory                                             
Error loading services. 

... Whaaaat? I get what it said. My confusion is in regards to smb.conf not existing. Note that I've yet to turn on CIFS on this machine (fresh install of FreeNAS).

But... it edited two parameters before saying it doesn't exist. How does that work?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If I'm not mistaken the file is 'regenerated' when you start the service. So naturally, if you haven't turned on CIFS it's not going to reflect anything remotely resembling anything you are truly going to care about.

TremorAcePV

Explorer
If I'm not mistaken the file is 'regenerated' when you start the service. So naturally, if you haven't turned on CIFS it's not going to reflect anything remotely resembling anything you are truly going to care about.

Ah, I figured as much. I was just curious about the parameters it set before saying the file didn't exist. Seems like it would just state that first then not do anything.

So my sanity checks will keep failing until I turn CIFS on, but I guess that's somewhat irrelevant as it's a non-issue.

I can't really turn it on as if I do, it can't be turned back off (it's 9.2.1.5).

Thanks. I just thought it was strange how it was doing it.

TremorAcePV

Explorer
I believe the file you are looking for is /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf

Thank you. I'll just go now. I believe I copied that line from another thread and ignored the fact that I'm on 9.2.1.5 (which uses smb4).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ah, I figured as much. I was just curious about the parameters it set before saying the file didn't exist. Seems like it would just state that first then not do anything.

So my sanity checks will keep failing until I turn CIFS on, but I guess that's somewhat irrelevant as it's a non-issue.

I can't really turn it on as if I do, it can't be turned back off (it's 9.2.1.5).

Thanks. I just thought it was strange how it was doing it.

There's a patch on bugs.freenas.org that resolves that issue....

TremorAcePV

Explorer
There's a patch on bugs.freenas.org that resolves that issue....

Thank you.

This is why I wait a very long time before bringing my issues here. I've usually missed something obvious (twice in this thread now), and I don't like wasting people's time for being an air head.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Thank you.

This is why I wait a very long time before bringing my issues here. I've usually missed something obvious (twice in this thread now), and I don't like wasting people's time for being an air head.

We'll give you the answer.. but we may still point and laugh... and we may still call you an airhead. :D

Don't feel bad.. when I wrote my review of the FreeNAS Mini I spent over 2 hours dealing with a CIFS service that wouldn't turn on and off.. only to find the patch after about pulling my hair out.

TremorAcePV

Explorer
We'll give you the answer.. but we may still point and laugh... and we may still call you an airhead. :D

Don't feel bad.. when I wrote my review of the FreeNAS Mini I spent over 2 hours dealing with a CIFS service that wouldn't turn on and off.. only to find the patch after about pulling my hair out.

Thanks. lol I can handle that.

Glad I'm not the only one then.

Where might that review be? Or where might it be once it's posted?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Status
Not open for further replies.