Announcing FreeNAS 9.2.1.4-RELEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

Hi folks,

Well, we've successfully rolled another good 9.2.1.x point release! Please come and get it from the usual location. Also as usual, the issues we fixed in this release are best described by looking at the list of fixed tickets in the 9.2.1.4 milestone. We improved replication speed, we fixed more issues with CIFS, we brought in some ZFS fixes (addressing the zpool history 100% CPU spin, among other things), and just basically did our best to keep whittling away at the issues that made 9.2.1.3 less than complaint-free.

So, since the bug database does a better job than we ever could of describing what we've fixed in 9.2.1.4, let us take this opportunity to talk a bit about the 9.2.1.x series and our plans for 9.2.2!

As most folks have undoubtedly figured out by now, we've been putting a substantial amount of effort into evolving the 9.2.1-BRANCH of FreeNAS with this series of 9.2.1.x releases. There are two primary reasons for this:
  1. We took on a bit more than we expected with the Samba3->Samba4 upgrade, especially given how much more stringent Samba4 is about respecting ACLs and, as we've come to understand, the kinds of havoc one can create in FreeBSD by mixing ACLs and chmod(1) since they share the same permission space (and Windows likes ACLs, not Unix mode flags). We've added a few seat-belts here and there and also fixed some outright bugs, but it's clear we still have some work to do in documenting how to use Samba4 effectively.
  2. We're strongly motivated to get the 9.2.1.x series polished to the point where we can stop doing frequent releases for it and give both ourselves and the FreeNAS community a bit of a rest in that regard, allowing the documentation and other resources to catch up while we go to work full-time on FreeNAS 9.2.2!
Which brings us to FreeNAS 9.2.2. Here is some of what we have in store for the next major release of FreeNAS:
  • Live updates: Explicit downloading and installation of updates (and manually supplying checksums) will become a thing of the past. FreeNAS will update itself like most other commercial products do - by checking in with an update server, downloading any available updates in the background, and then asking the user for an opportune time to apply them. Worry not, we're not going to reboot without an admin's express permission, or give them only one type of update server to use (we know many corporate users are behind firewalls or want to run their own update servers) - we'll be making provisions to make this as non-intrusive, and as secure, as it should be. This is a bigger topic than one post can possibly do justice to, however, so please stay tuned for more details!
  • NFSv4: Yes, it's time for NFSv4 support. This will require some fairly substantial NFS sharing UI changes since NFSv4 is a lot more powerful and flexible than NFSv3.
  • HAST: Fail-over peering is coming to FreeNAS. For more information, see the link. The UI for this will also be fairly substantial, and we look forward to your feedback as the feature starts entering the daily BETA builds of 9.2.2!
  • Kernel iSCSI: iSCSI is one of FreeNAS' more popular features (especially for VMWare folks), and this will be a substantial improvement for this service, both from a performance and feature perspective.
We also have a lot of tickets on our plate for 9.2.2 that cover a positively huge number of enhancements to replication (especially in the UI), performance, "fit and finish" and general bug fixes. We're really looking forward to making major major progress on 9.2.2 over the coming year (and no, before you ask, we don't have a specific release date yet - that will be announced later), but first we need to get this pesky 9.2.1.x series behind us. :)

We hope that you enjoy using 9.2.1.4 as much as we enjoyed making it. Onwards toward 9.2.2.!

- The FreeNAS Engineering Team

bigphil

Patron
Awesome! Great work as always, we appreciate it! I look forward to the badass stuff coming in 9.2.2!!!

SmallGuy

Guru
Great job!
For sure documentation and clarification of Samba and permissions behavior is needed, as it doesn't looks like user friendly and is against the (bad?) habits.
This is my fear to jump to Samba 4.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Thanx for the hard work!

Allthough... It seems i can't list snapshots in gui? Anyone else?

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Yatti420

Wizard
Thanks.. Now if only I didn't have to backup a botched ubuntu update - I could update to the official release.. The joys of having a NAS box..

ThreeDee

Guru
Nicely done my FreeNAS Overlords!;)

...can't say enough how much I appreciate you guys

panz

Guru
Thanx for the hard work!

me too :(

Clipboard01.jpg

trey22

Dabbler
Will upgrade over the weekend from 9.2.1.3... thx!

Sir.Robin

Guru
Excellent :)

Oh crap. Previous versions Also ??

hervon

Patron
Snapshot list shows fine here with this new release.

J

jkh

Thanx for the hard work!

I'll comment more in the bug (#4836) but I can't reproduce this using Safari or Chrome. Are you guys, perhaps, using a later version of Firefox? We're getting bug reports recently from Firefox users indicating that Javascript is somehow seriously hinky in that browser. If you're seeing this bug, you might try another browser to isolate the problem. JFYI, I've attached a screenshot of what the snapshots UI looks like for me with 9.2.1.4-RELEASE.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-19 at 6.09.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-19 at 6.09.29 PM.png
    864.5 KB · Views: 20

hervon

Patron
I'll comment more in the bug (#4836) but I can't reproduce this using Safari or Chrome. Are you guys, perhaps, using a later version of Firefox? We're getting bug reports from recently Firefox users indicating that Javascript is somehow seriously hinky in that browser. If you're seeing this bug, you might try another browser to isolate the problem. JFYI, I've attached a screenshot of what the snapshots UI looks like for me with 9.2.1.4-RELEASE.
Firefox 28 here without problem with NoScript On. My Snapshot list looks exactly like yours.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Well something is fishy. I've tried, IE 11, Firefox 28, Opera and chrome 34 on three different systems (Win 7 and Win 2008R2) against both my FreeNAS 9.2.1.4 Release boxes.

Same error all over. :(

J

jkh

Well something is fishy. I've tried, IE 11, Firefox 28, Opera and chrome 34 on three different systems (Win 7 and Win 2008R2) against both my FreeNAS 9.2.1.4 Release boxes.

Same error all over. :(

I just fired up my Windows 2008 server box and can't reproduce this with Firefox or Chrome. ZFS snapshots show up just fine. Some security setting, perhaps? There's something about your configuration we just don't share. :(

panz

Guru
I just fired up my Windows 2008 server box and can't reproduce this with Firefox or Chrome. ZFS snapshots show up just fine. Some security setting, perhaps? There's something about your configuration we just don't share. :(

Just reverted to 9.2.1.3 and snapshots reappeared. With v. 9.2.1.4 I tried all sort of browsers: Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Safari on iOS 7.1, IE 11... same thing. I think this is not related to the browser.

Sir.Robin

Guru
My win 2008R2 is a fresh install. Just installed firefox to test. No customization. Installed opera aswell to test.

Will test a revert to 9.2.1.3. This occured when going to the beta 9.2.1.4 but i didnt file a ticket cuz it was already one on the topic.

J

jkh

Just reverted to 9.2.1.3 and snapshots reappeared. With v. 9.2.1.4 I tried all sort of browsers: Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Safari on iOS 7.1, IE 11... same thing. I think this is not related to the browser.

Well, if I can't reproduce this problem with Firefox, Safari, Chrome or IE (and I've done all of them) and 9.2.1.3 OR 9.2.1.4, and if others on this thread also can't reproduce it, then we have to figure out what the common factor is. Since I've never seen this on 9.2.1.x across dozens of machines, I could just as plausibly argue that it's not related to FreeNAS, since it "works on all my machines", but I don't think that would help either of is. It's related to *something*, obviously, but what? We need to find the hidden element.

Status
Not open for further replies.