Am I Misunderstanding miniupnpd ?

AltairWolfe

Cadet
So I have a crappy modem from my cable company that I really don't want to buy one because they're expensive; and because I lease this one... if there's a problem I drive down the street and they give me a new one. Trade off, I know.

So the modem only has a cloud based configuration. You can change IPs, DHCP ranges, SSIDs, etc. That all works fine. It also supports port forwarding, however, the port forwarding DOES NOT work if you configure it on the web. It claims the rule is in place, but no actual data forwarding.

Here's the catch: If the plug-in/jail supports UPnP (like Plex or Jellyfin) then it automatically creates a forwarding rule that works. Even shows up on the cloud console.

My thought was that I could run miniupnpd inside individual jails and let it request ports to open. So far I haven't found either much useful configuration information or how the daemon actually works. And tapping and smashing at the .conf file hasn't yielded any results.

Am I thinking incorrectly about what miniupnpd does? Is there a better solution anyone knows of? I'd really hate to have to go spend $200-300 just to get a few working port forwarding rules.