All set up. Paranoid about missing something critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxSupernova

Cadet
I'm migrating all my data from an ancient NASLite+ box with a random pile of old drives in it.

I just had a great time setting up my Freenas 11 box. 5 x 3TB disks in RAIDZ2 in a ThinkStation S20, volumes and shares all set up, email notifications set up, SMART testing scheduled, scrubs scheduled, it's humming like a fine swiss watch. Data is copying from the old to the new just fine, and my family is all set up looking at their shares. Woo!

I used Uncle Fester's guide and lots of great info on how to choose hardware and how to get things working. This is a great community.

My question is: do I need to do anything else? I'm concerned that something might go wrong and I'll miss it. The only thing that seems to be configurable about SMART checks is notification for temperature overage.

The thing is, I'm not really all that interested in spending a lot of time actually administering this. This box should hopefully sit beside my desk and only get looked at when it sends me a notification. If I get an email every single day that I have to look and and check for errors, that's not going to be useful because I'm probably going to just start ignoring them at some point (being realistic...).

So, if a SMART check fails, will I get a message that specifically says that? If something else goes wrong, will I get a "SOMETHING IS WRONG" mail, or just normal updates that I have to check the content of? I'd be really interested in automating some filters to file good reports and highlight bad ones.

There's lots of info on what to do if a disk fails, but not a lot of specific info on "Here's how you tell something is going wrong or is about to go wrong" that I have found.

Am I set? Is there more I need to do?

danb35

Hall of Famer

pro lamer

Guru
Maybe an UPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.