All I want for Christmas is a single hostname..

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gcooper

Just to get an idea, would anyone have any major heartburn if all of the per-service hostnames were consolidated and matched the designated hostname for a given machine?

I'm asking because right now avahi is sort of broken in multiple ways because of how avahi-daemon.conf is generated and it really adds more complexity to the system than there needs to be.

This would be a behavior change for 8.1 if it came true.

ProtoSD

MVP
It doesn't seem like it would be a problem for me. It's kind of like I would expect it to be.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi gcooper,

Can you give me a better idea of what the change you are proposing would do? Maybe an example?

I took a look at the avahi.conf file & I see that it uses freenas & local for the host and domain....I assume what you are suggesting means those entries would follow what I entered into Network -> global conf page?

-Will

G

gcooper

Hi gcooper,
Can you give me a better idea of what the change you are proposing would do? Maybe an example?

If I set a machine name, say mymachine.under.my.desk.com, the NetBIOS name presented by avahi and samba should be "mymachine", the AD/LDAP domain/realm I'm joined to should be "under.my.desk.com".

I took a look at the avahi.conf file & I see that it uses freenas & local for the host and domain....I assume what you are suggesting means those entries would follow what I entered into Network -> global conf page?

Yup. That's just one inconsistency that needs to be nailed down.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi gcooper,

Sounds reasonable to me.

Would this also populate the NetBIOS name field in the AD config? That's one place that I have seen a number of users get into trouble.

-Will

G

gcooper

Hi gcooper,

Sounds reasonable to me.

Would this also populate the NetBIOS name field in the AD config? That's one place that I have seen a number of users get into trouble.

That's the aim (LDAP configurations can be just as tricky as NetBIOS names in AD -- and if we do this we can get rid of a bunch of dialog boxes :)..). I've also created a ticket to track this request: http://support.freenas.org/ticket/1060 .

This might break installs though, so I think it'd be a good idea to do at the next major (non-point) release.

G

gcooper

Enhancement completed per the ticket above. There are issues with avahi not properly registering the new DNS name, which impacts Mac users, but if you kick afp/avahi or wait 10 minutes for it to grab the hostname info again it'll get the correct hostname.

Status
Not open for further replies.