Alerts not alerting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tancients

Dabbler
I setup e-mail alerts, and the test button works fine when I hit it. I then wanted to see an example of an alert, so I set the smart critical temperature threshold to 2 Celcius, and waited 30 minutes to poll. The webgui and console both trigger the alerts, but I don't get any e-mail notification.

Root user has the e-mail address, SMART has the e-mail address, not sure if there's a third place to put it besides the email config tab. I'm just having it authenticate and send to its own mailbox at the moment, so it's not crossing mail servers. Not showing up in spam either.

Maybe the e-mail alerts are only daily? Or is this alert in particular just not one that makes noise?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I setup e-mail alerts, and the test button works fine when I hit it. I then wanted to see an example of an alert, so I set the smart critical temperature threshold to 2 Celcius, and waited 30 minutes to poll. The webgui and console both trigger the alerts, but I don't get any e-mail notification.

Root user has the e-mail address, SMART has the e-mail address, not sure if there's a third place to put it besides the email config tab. I'm just having it authenticate and send to its own mailbox at the moment, so it's not crossing mail servers. Not showing up in spam either.

Maybe the e-mail alerts are only daily? Or is this alert in particular just not one that makes noise?

My experience is that smart errors cause freenas to switch to 'nagging wife' mode and spam your email. Sounds like something to look into. You might want to file a bug report.

D

dlavigne

Anything related in /var/log/messages or /var/log/maillog?

Tancients

Dabbler
I did get the daily alerts today denoting what configuration changes etc happened, so that part still seems to work.

The only thing I saw in /var/log/messages was a url open error 8 for checking in with web.ixsystems.com. I see in the logs that my drives had hit 35c today, but still no alerts.

I did however see this in maillog:
Code:
Jun 14 14:30:31 freenas freenas[3547]:   File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/common/s
ystem.py", line 184, in send_mail                                              
Jun 14 14:30:31 freenas freenas[3547]:     local_hostname=local_hostname)      
Jun 14 14:30:31 freenas freenas[3547]:   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/smtplib.
py", line 781, in __init__                                                     
Jun 14 14:30:31 freenas freenas[3547]:     SMTP.__init__(self, host, port, local
_hostname, timeout)                                                            
Jun 14 14:30:31 freenas freenas[3547]:   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/smtplib.
py", line 251, in __init__                                                     
Jun 14 14:30:31 freenas freenas[3547]:     (code, msg) = self.connect(host, port
)                                                                              
py", line 311, in connect                                                      
Jun 14 14:30:31 freenas freenas[3547]:     self.sock = self._get_socket(host, po
rt, self.timeout)                                                              
py", line 786, in _get_socket                                                  
Jun 14 14:30:31 freenas freenas[3547]:     new_socket = socket.create_connection
((host, port), timeout)                                                        
Jun 14 14:30:31 freenas freenas[3547]:   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/socket.p
y", line 553, in create_connection 

Which implies it's intermittently failing to get a hostname? It's using 8.8.8.8 for DNS, so I'm not sure if there's something I should reset somewhere maybe?

Tancients

Dabbler
It was able to send me alerts (and a lot of them) today for temps, so I think it's working now once I up/downed the interfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.