After Resilvering...

Status
Not open for further replies.

John M. Długosz

Contributor
When I replace a drive, how do I know when it's done resilvering?

Is there something I can easily run on the NAS box before pulling the retired drive to erase it?
Nevermind, I found the "Wipe" button on the "View Disks" page.

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
When I replace a drive, how do I know when it's done resilvering?
Your first indication would be a green status light on the GUI page.
You can also check the progress of the process (resilver) via the CLI by logging in and typing the command:
zpool status
Is there something I can easily run on the NAS box before pulling the retired drive to erase it?
You should follow the manual instructions for replacing a failed drive, it outlines how to offline the defective drive for physical removal.

John M. Długosz

Contributor
Zpool status?
I see; zpool status on a console prompt shows in part
scan: resilvered 2.49T in 14h24m with 0 errors on Sun Jan 10 07:21:34 2016

I'm getting the idea that the web-based GUI for administration is rather lacking in essential details.

John M. Długosz

Contributor
Your first indication would be a green status light on the GUI page.
My experience is that the light never goes away until I clear it.

You should follow the manual instructions for replacing a failed drive, it outlines how to offline the defective drive for physical removal.

The instructions don't say anything about zeroing the drive. I thought I'd put it in a dock on another PC and run some utility, but then I realized that it's already attached to a machine: is there something I can run *there* to erase it before removing it?

I need to shut down to pull the drive anyway, since the power cables don't have enough slack and I have to unplug the whole stack.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
My experience is that the light never goes away until I clear it.
The light goes green when all issues are resolved (it may take a couple minutes (or a page refresh) to update).

You can check the status of resilvering in the "volume status" page.

Click this:
upload_2016-1-10_12-42-39.png

John M. Długosz

Contributor
The light goes green when all issues are resolved (it may take a couple minutes (or a page refresh) to update).
Perhaps it depends on the nature of the indication. If it says "an error occurred some time in the past" it doesn't "resolve" on its own but stays lit until I zpool clear and then refresh the page.

In this case, there was one of those as well as the resilvering having completed, so it was not going to go away on its own. I don't know if the indication for resilvering is simply "set" once when it starts, in which case clearing it doesn't reflect the completion. That's why I asked for a positive way to tell for sure.

You can check the status of resilvering in the "volume status" page.

So if it doesn't mention anything about resilvering on that report, then it's done? Again, not very positive that I found the right place to look! How do I know that it would have mentioned it were the resilvering still in progress?
000024.png

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Hmmm. I didn't realize you were still on 9.2. Maybe things work differently. On my 9.3 build, it would say resilvering (and % complete) next to Status:.

Status
Not open for further replies.