Replaced drive, now status is "Faulted"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kranzel

Explorer
Hi all,

I need some help here. So, I have a RaidZ2 system. A drive had failed, the 7th out of 7 drives if that matters at all. So, I shutdown the system, replace the drive, bring the systems backup, go into the gui, find the old drive, and hit replace. I choose the new drive, and resilvering starts. Shortly after the resilvering process started though, the new drive switched to "Faulted" and under the "Checksum" colum in "View Disks" I see the number 26 next to it.

I thought maybe this was part of the resilvering process, since I haven't had the replaced a drive in the last few updates of freenas. However the resilvering process completed successfully and the array still shows degarded and the drive is still in "Faulted" sate.

So, I am wondering if this is an issue with the new drive, as in it is bad out of the box, or if I ahve missed or done something wrong here?

Any ideas?

Yatti420

Wizard
Does your new drive have problems? Has it been tested before being put into use..

kranzel

Explorer
I am not sure if the new drive has issues, I guess that is what I am asking, if the new drive is the issue or if I did something wrong in rebuilding the array when adding in the new drive. How would I test for this?

As for the second part, I did not test the drive before adding it, I assumed freenas would verify it. Before switching to FreeNAS, I previously used a 3Ware Hardware Raid card, it would verify drives then rebuild arrays afterwards. If the drive was an issue, it would alert me before rebuilding the array. Is there a standard testing methong to be used before adding new drives to a ZFS Pool?

rs225

Guru
maybe the problem isn't the drives. Maybe that port has a bad cable or something else wrong?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS won't verify a disk. In fact, I don't know of any OSes that verify their own disks. The reality is that the computer's admin should be handling that task. We do have a sticky on how to test your disks before using them.

In any case the CHECKSUM errors mean something is wrong. The most likely culprit is the disk is bad, but you may have a bad sata port or even poor power to that disk. In any case, something is wrong and you do need to stop and figure out what the problem is and correct it.

kranzel

Explorer
Hi Cyberjock,

Thanks for the info. I have been trying to find the sticky with information on how to test my disk, but i can't seem ti find it. Can you point me into the location where I can access it?

Status
Not open for further replies.