Admin/User since 8.2 w/ a desire to contrib

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCanada

Cadet
Time Appropriate Greetings,

I have been a long time administrator and user of several generations of FreeNAS systems at work and home, they have served us exceedingly well.

Thank you, to all of the individuals who have made this possible!

A bit of my back story:

I have been heavily involved in the tech sector for 20+/- years using various Linux Distros and only in the last 2 years have I been interested in learning {open,free,drgonfly,nano}BSD; I have placed my focus on FreeBSD primarily because I like working in the command line, accordingly people will comment that when they see me on my macbook that seldom leave my fullscreen terminal window and follow it up with a how do you get anything done?

As a lone wolf consultant I lack the perspective to know quantitatively where my skill level is in comparison to others generally interested in playing a more active role in the project.

At present:

I would like to contribute specifically to the FreeNAS project, however I am a bit unsure where/how to start and would appreciate your incite.

m0nkey_

MVP
I would like to contribute specifically to the FreeNAS project, however I am a bit unsure where/how to start and would appreciate your incite.
Small contributions such as participating in the community, giving advise, helping others is a great start! Join us in the IRC chatroom on Freenode. Just giving back knowledge to the community is probably one of the best ways to help. You can also help out by pulling down the latest FreeNAS 10 beta and report any bugs you might find.

If you want to get more involved, you can look for the FreeNAS project on GitHub and make pull requests to help improve the code.

PCanada

Cadet
m0nkey_,

Thank you for your advice,

...Just giving back knowledge to the community is probably one of the best ways to help. You can also help out by pulling down the latest FreeNAS 10 beta and report any bugs you might find...

As far as answering questions and providing advice/opinion on the forums, I thought that was a given.

I am currently in the process of evaluating the FreeNAS 10 Release for bugs that have not yet been reported.

...If you want to get more involved, you can look for the FreeNAS project on GitHub and make pull requests to help improve the code...

I would like to incorporate or assist in the incorporation of a Backblaze B2 backup similar to what has already been done for Amazon's S3 cloud storage via Plugins. Knowing that the Plugin style extensibility is going away in favor of Docker; I am not sure whether to perfect a docker image for backups or submit a pull request after developing a backup configuration option under the system menu of the UI to later support multi different backends.

Again, Thank you for all that you and the FreeNAS Community have done and continue to do.

Regards,

Peter

Donny Davis

Contributor
You could work on a dockerfile that could be used for backblaze backups

Status
Not open for further replies.