Adding New Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clinderw

Explorer
Hello,

I'm trying to add a new hard drive to an existing FreeNas setup but it keeps trying to boot off the hard drive instead of the USB that has Freenas on it. When the hard drive is in the system i can't get into anything within the bios. When I remove the hard drive, it allows me to go into the bios and boot everything fine. When i change the boot order to have the USB boot first it still has the same issue.

I think this is a bios issue but not sure.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Chris

Yatti420

Wizard
What hardware / FreeNAS version are you using? How did you create the USB? Did you read the docs?

Clinderw

Explorer
Hello,

I am using FreeNas 8.3.1, its been working great for over a year but now i am working to move from a RaidZ1 to a RaidZ2 setup after reading more and more about it. The USB was created just like the instructions prescribed and yes i have read the docs.

I had a 5 X 3TB Raidz1 pool (pool01) that was mainly being used. I then used a IBM M1050 flashed to IT mode to allow for additional hard drives. My Mobo can support 6 drives (5 of which were in original pool) and I recently set up (earlier this week without issue) the M1050 to hold 4X3tb drives in a RaidZ2 Pool (pool02).

The end goal is to format the Pool01 and add the 6 drives (Pool01 + 1 new drive) to a new vDev in Pool02. Both VDevs in Pool02 would be RaidZ2.

All the drives are recognized and both Pool01 and pool02 work correctly. However, now i am working to add the additional drive and i keep getting this issue.

Hardware specs below:
  1. IBM xSeries X3200 M2 Motherboard - FRU 44E7312 (most of my server hardware was pulled from an IBM x3200 Business server)
Thanks,
Chris

Clinderw

Explorer
Also, the motherboard did support hot swappable disks before so i tried adding the hard drive after FreeNas booted and it didnt show up or do anything. Is there a command or something i could run to refresh the drive list after boot?

Clinderw

Explorer
Anyone have any ideas? I can't find a similar thread or forum topic that helps.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Clinderw

Explorer
After doing a lot of research it came down to a BIOS issue. The BIOS needed to be updated/flashed to support all its SATA ports. As opposed to doing that i just bought another M1050 hard drive connector cord and used that.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.