Adding additional drives to mirror existing pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWTech

Dabbler
I have a 9.10.1 system configured with two equivalent drives striped.
I have two additional drives of the same size and model that I would like to add.

My thought was to have a Raid 10 setup by striping the two new drives then mirroring to the pre-existing stripe.

What would I need to do to produce this result without loss of data to the initial stripe?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
if you have 2 striped drives you can't create a mirror out of that. You need to start with a mirror and then add more mirrors to get the stripe affect.

I think you need to backup your data and destroy your pool and do it right from the beginning.

JWTech

Dabbler
if you have 2 striped drives you can't create a mirror out of that. You need to start with a mirror and then add more mirrors to get the stripe affect.

I think you need to backup your data and destroy your pool and do it right from the beginning.

Alright, thanks for the info.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can add a drive to each vdev to turn them into mirrors. You'll need to do it manually, though.

JWTech

Dabbler
You can add a drive to each vdev to turn them into mirrors. You'll need to do it manually, though.

What steps would I take to accomplish that?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
He has a stripe right now. You can't add redundancy to a stripe.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
He has a stripe right now. You can't add redundancy to a stripe.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Of course he can. Each drive is a vdev. Non-RAIDZ vdevs can have mirrors added or removed at any time. The GUI just doesn't expose that.

JWTech

Dabbler
Of course he can. Each drive is a vdev. Non-RAIDZ vdevs can have mirrors added or removed at any time. The GUI just doesn't expose that.

If you've got commands for me, I'd love to try this with my testing environment.

Stux

MVP

Not true.

You can turn a stripe (in ZFS terms a single drive vdev is a stripe) into a mirror by simply adding a drive to the vdev.

Use zpool attach "Converting a Nonredundant ZFS Storage Pool to a Mirrored ZFS Storage Pool"

You want to add the new drive via gptid. You should research that.

Last edited:

JWTech

Dabbler
Not true.

You can turn a stripe (in ZFS terms a single drive vdev is a stripe) into a mirror by simply adding a drive to the vdev.

Use zpool attach "Converting a Nonredundant ZFS Storage Pool to a Mirrored ZFS Storage Pool"

You want to add the new drive via gptid. You should research that.

Sounds great, and worked in my test environment when adding by geom name, but have you got any research material for me regarding adding via gptid?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

JWTech

Dabbler

Stux

MVP

JWTech

Dabbler
Forgot to mention earlier, but when doing this in the production environment, everything went perfectly.

No downtime as there was no need to reboot, and only minor performance loss during resilvering.

The company did not note any service disruptions throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.