Added router, now can't access Windows shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiraldude

Cadet
I am running FreeNAS-9.10.2-U2 and have been able to connect to Windows shares using Windows 10.
Previously I had ATT DSL router.
Now I added a netgear Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800 downstream of ATT router and connected freenas direct to this new router.
It looks like the only thing that changed is the IP address space. Before, freenas was 192.16.1.217, now it is 10.0.0.10
As far as I can tell, nothing else has changed except the IP addresses.
When I enter \\10.0.0.10\ into windows file explorer I get the following:
Windows can't access \10.0.0.10\
After selecting troubleshooting I get this:
"the remote device or resource won't accept the connection"
and this:
"The device or resource (10.0.0.10) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)".
I have tried deleting and recreating the shares and of course rebooting both freenas and Windows 10

I can connect to web interface with no problem and I have FTP setup and can connect to that as well. Only SMB shares are broken.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Did you also update the default gateway and DNS addresses in Network -> Global Configuration?

chiraldude

Cadet
I updated the default gateway. Not sure what to do about the DNS address.
At any rate, there was no effect. Still can't connect.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Are you still using the att router? Do all hosts on the network have a 10.X.x.x address?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

chiraldude

Cadet
Yes, the ATT router is still the ultimate gateway to the internet (ip 192.168.1.254)
The new router is 10.0.0.1 and everything is connecting to this router and getting an ip of 10.0.0.x

chiraldude

Cadet
I reconnected freenas to the ATT router and I can get to SMB shares again. Looks like I will need to run an extra cable to freenas to put it permanently on the ATT router.
Something is getting blocked in the Netgear router I guess.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I am running FreeNAS-9.10.2-U2 and have been able to connect to Windows shares using Windows 10.
Previously I had ATT DSL router.
Now I added a netgear Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800 downstream of ATT router and connected freenas direct to this new router.
It looks like the only thing that changed is the IP address space. Before, freenas was 192.16.1.217, now it is 10.0.0.10
As far as I can tell, nothing else has changed except the IP addresses.
When I enter \\10.0.0.10\ into windows file explorer I get the following:
Windows can't access \10.0.0.10\
After selecting troubleshooting I get this:
"the remote device or resource won't accept the connection"
and this:
"The device or resource (10.0.0.10) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)".
I have tried deleting and recreating the shares and of course rebooting both freenas and Windows 10

I can connect to web interface with no problem and I have FTP setup and can connect to that as well. Only SMB shares are broken.
With most home routers you need to specify the router's IP address as both the gateway and DNS server on systems attached to it.

At a guess, your Nighthawk is probably at IP address 10.0.0.1, but you can log on to it to see (and change settings, if you need to):

https://kb.netgear.com/24088/How-do...n-my-Nighthawk-router?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

I would check the IP address of the Nighthawk, and then specify its IP address as both the gateway and DNS server on your FreeNAS box.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I reconnected freenas to the ATT router and I can get to SMB shares again. Looks like I will need to run an extra cable to freenas to put it permanently on the ATT router.
Something is getting blocked in the Netgear router I guess.
Ehh i would throw that att router in the trash. If you need it to connect to your provider then you should turn off everything on it. Turn off Nat, DHCP, firewall, wireless and everything else. The night hawk router should not block anything over your LAN, so it's strange that it isn't working.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Redcoat

MVP
SweetAndLow is right - turn the ATT device into a DSL modem only - turn off all non-modem functions and put it into "bridge mode". Try dslreports.com for detailed instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.