Added new drive now FreeNAS disconnects frequently

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentsmith23

Cadet
When backing up Windows 7 Pro, FreeNAS crashes

So I started out with a single 320GB drive and everything was going fine. I got a 1.5TB Seagate Green drive installed it in the server and FreeNAS recognized it just fine and I set up a CIFS share and windows sees it just fine as well. I intend to use this drive primarily for backing up other PCs on my network so the first thing I did was started backing up my main PC to FreeNAS on the 1.5TB drive. After 12 percent of the backup or 5mins or so FreeNAS goes completely off line. My PC no longer sees it and neither does my router. Getting it back online seems to be a bit of a chore, the first time just manually shutting down the server by holding the power button (I know this is a horrible way to shut down any computer but this is a headless system) and restarting it brought it back online. Every time after that I have had to reboot the server multiple times and once it is back online I try the backup again and the same results. I only had a few minutes to troubleshoot and rebooting and fighting with it to come back online. Any idea what would cause this?

I was also away from home for 2 days and no one had access to the server and the first thing I did when I got home was to shut down the server from the web gui and install the new drive. So I don't know if something else happened while I was away. I will be performing more extensive tests tomorrow. I will probably be disconnecting the 1.5TB drive and see if the same issue occurs on the 320GB drive. If it only happens when the 1.5TB drive is connected, what would cause that?

agentsmith23

Cadet
Running fsck found and fixed a few errors on my disc but I still can't get the server to stay running when doing a system backup. This is what I have tried so far and FreeNAS crashes after windows backup gets to 12% or transferring a little more than 1GB of data:

Backing up to 1.5TB drive with both drives installed
Backing up to 320GB drive with both drives installed
Removing the 320GB drive and backing up to the 1.5TB drive
Removing the 1.5TB drive and backing up the 320GB drive
Unmounting both drives and running fsck on both then trying to backup to either drive

One thing I have noticed is that it only seems to crash when backing up my system using the Windows 7 Pro backup utility and selecting one of the network drives. Like I mentioned earlier it will only transfer about 1GB of data before it crashes, so I tried just transferring 4 large files totaling 18GB and it transferred without any issues at all. Is this a known issue with running the Windows 7 Pro backup utility or is there a setting I need to configure to get this to work?

agentsmith23

Cadet
So I read the FAQ again and ran across question 22:

"22) My Transfers are slow and hang after awhile, and I can't access the GUI or SSH.

This could be several things, but it is usually memory/tuning related.

Just because you have 4GB+ of RAM doesn't means it is being properly allocated to ZFS (if you're using ZFS).

Try increasing your vm.kmem_size, vm.kmem_size_max variables in your /boot/loader.conf file.
Try adding these variables to /boot/loader.conf
vfs.zfs.arc_max="128M"
vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size="16M"
If you're using the i386/32-bit version of FreeNAS, this probably means you will need to recompile your kernel (see #13). You need to make the '/' partition writable (mount -uw /) before you can edit /boot/loader.conf . Don't make these values = all of your RAM! Start with a number about 1/2 of your RAM, then make adjustments if needed.

CHANGES WILL BE LOST WHEN YOU UPGRADE UNLESS YOU BACKUP 'loader.conf'"

Now my question is that since I am not running ZFS, the variables vfs.zfs.arc_max="128M" vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size="16M", will they work with UFS as well? If they don't what commands would I use? Just substitute zfs with ufs in the variables? Ex. vfs.ufs.arc_max="128M"

Status
Not open for further replies.