Looking for simple NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

newnews

Cadet
Hello,

I have Asus O!play Air as my NAS(run SAMBA service), it works ok. Now I have spare PC and I want to setup as true NAS. I need am looking for very simple NAS solution:

1. I have one SATA 1.5 TB harddrive, one IDE 120GB at home. They are all NTFS systems, but use only 1.5TB drive as storage drive. I wish to install XP on 120GB hard drive. Because I may boot to XP occasionally as HTPC, so I need access the 1.5TB drive in XP too.
2. No need any RAID.

Looks like FreeNAS does not support NTFS and IDE hard drive, and must have 3 harddrives for RAID? If the 1.5TB drive must be NFS/ZFS system, how can I convert it to NFS/ZFS if FreeNAS doesn't support NTS? I already have many files and I do not want to copy to another place and then copy back after reformated.

Any advice? If FreeNAS cannot do that, is there any other system can do the work? Thanks

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi newnews,

The short answer is you can't.

If all you need is to share out the 1.5TB drive via CIFS why not just use XP and be done with it?

-Will

newnews

Cadet
Thanks for your reply. I think NAS probably faster than shared folder in XP. However, FREENAS looks like need powerful hardware so I went for NAS4FREE. I installed NAS4FREE on my old destop, using only one HDD(NFS). It works great. I also instaled XP on another HDD. I can choose which one to boot via BIOS setting. Only thing is on XP I cannot access NFS.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi newnews,

Just so you know both FreeNAS & NAS4Free are based on the same underlying OS and they should have roughly the same system requirements given the same usage. If you are re-purposing an old PC that's under the suggested spec (which really assumes you want to use ZFS for your filesystem) with UFS either one should work just fine.

-Will

Status
Not open for further replies.