Add storage to jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVH

Cadet
Hey all,

Just a quick question about adding storage to jails. Specifically Plex, Sickbeard, Couchpotato and Transmission. Hopefully, someone can give me a definitive "yes" or "no" answer, so here goes..

I have setup my volume with multiple datasets. One for each user of the house, one called "Jails" which is pretty self explanatory and I have a dataset called "Media". A Windows CIFS share (also called Media) points to this dataset.

There are 3 folders on the share, Downloads, TV Shows and Movies. Ideally I want to add storage to each of the jails, for each of the plugins listed above (Plex, Sickbeard, Couchpotato and Transmission) as follows:

Plex
Source: /volume/Media
Dest: /media/

Transmission
Source: /volume/Media/Downloads
Dest: /media/Downloads

Couch Potato
Source: /volume/Media/Movies

Sickbeard
Source: /volume/Media/TV Shows

My question: Will configuring the multiple plugins to point to /media/Downloads be an issue?

I don't mind adding torrents to Transmission manually (not interested in creating a watch folder), so long as Sickbeard, Couchpotato and Transmission will work like this.

Anyone enlighten me? :)

enemy85

Guru
I don't think there would be any issue, considering each jail should be indipendent form the other ones. Not 100% sure about this, so wait for other replies...

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
the way you have things CP or SB wouldnt have access to transmissions downloads, so they wouldn't be able to post-process them. not sure what the point of SB/CP are then, just to organize your media?

EVH

Cadet
the way you have things CP or SB wouldnt have access to transmissions downloads, so they wouldn't be able to post-process them. not sure what the point of SB/CP are then, just to organize your media?

Can you recommend a solution that would allow SB and CP to have access to the downloads whilst keeping the directory structure?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Can you recommend a solution that would allow SB and CP to have access to the downloads whilst keeping the directory structure?
I usually recommend sab/transmission/SB/CP are run in the same jail, but I can try helping you.

are Downloads, Movies, and TV Shows folders datasets or regular directories? if they are datasets you would need to have multiple mointpoints because a nullfs mount can't cross filesystems (in this case datasets). I also recommend your downloads+media folders are regular folders residing on the same dataset otherwise moving files from the download location to the final location is a read-write-delete operation across filesystem's, instead of a pointer change.

EVH

Cadet
I usually recommend sab/transmission/SB/CP are run in the same jail, but I can try helping you.

are Downloads, Movies, and TV Shows folders datasets or regular directories? if they are datasets you would need to have multiple mointpoints because a nullfs mount can't cross filesystems (in this case datasets). I also recommend your downloads+media folders are regular folders residing on the same dataset otherwise moving files from the download location to the final location is a read-write-delete operation across filesystem's, instead of a pointer change.
Downloads, Movies, and TV Shows folders are regular directories within the "Media" dataset.

To be honest I have no experience with the shell, so I will need to configure this all in the GUI :/

How can I get SB/CP to access the transmission downloads?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
why don't you just mount the Media dataset to /media in each jail? then each of these plugins will see everything residing on that dataset.

I'm not sure why you are bringing up the shell, I never mentioned it. and the only way to get experience with something is to do it, lol. I also had no experience at some point in the distant past

EVH

Cadet
That was sort of my query... would I be able to mount the dataset at the same point without issue? I realise now perhaps it wasn't made clear. Doh!

As for the shell.. I thought I'd just put that out there before someone replied with "yeah just SSH the whatsit and forward the doofer". It's Russian to me :p

I'll see how I get on tonight. This is first time I've played around with any of the plugins (aside from Plex) and I was worried about screwing it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.