Add another Boot-Drive / encryption questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revolution

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

I have three (probably noob questions) about my actual system.

1.My system only has one USB-Boot-Drive, now I want to add another as a mirrored one. Can I do this without installing freenas again?

2. I want to use encryption (I have a off-site Backup of all the data) and want to know, what the best way is to do this with my running setup. I have plex, sabnzbd and sickrage as plugins. They are all running fine and I dont want to set this up from scratch.

3. When my pool is fully encryptet, how can I backup these things (encryptet) to an off-site backup?

Thanks for any advice!

Greetings

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
1.My system only has one USB-Boot-Drive, now I want to add another as a mirrored one. Can I do this without installing freenas again?
Yes, the manual has instructions.

2. I want to use encryption (I have a off-site Backup of all the data) and want to know, what the best way is to do this with my running setup. I have plex, sabnzbd and sickrage as plugins. They are all running fine and I dont want to set this up from scratch.
3. When my pool is fully encryptet, how can I backup these things (encryptet) to an off-site backup?
Both 2 and 3 suggest that FreeNAS' "native" encryption is not for your case.

I recommend encrypting your sensitive data with something like TrueCrypt (or whatever people use since the whole TrueCrypt mystery began).

Revolution

Dabbler
Yes, the manual has instructions.

Both 2 and 3 suggest that FreeNAS' "native" encryption is not for your case.

I recommend encrypting your sensitive data with something like TrueCrypt (or whatever people use since the whole TrueCrypt mystery began).

Thank you for your quick response.

If one of my drives has issues and I have to RMA them, could they read the data on? That was one of my concern.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thank you for your quick response.

If one of my drives has issues and I have to RMA them, could they read the data on? That was one of my concern.
Even without encryption, it'd be quite an achievement.

If you encrypt the files you don't want them to see, no chance in hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.