Accessing FreeNAS from remote location

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I am on a network at a university. So I guess the network administrator. So if they cannot close the port should I be adding another router to control myself?
I see absolutely no way that anyone would forward a port on a uni network to some random Freenas. You must mean that it's accessible from everywhere on the uni network?

If that's the case, yes you need something to protect your devices.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
"OOH, a server on my network! Let me forward some ports to it!"

- Said no admin of a major network ever.

Something is wrong, but you'll have to be a bit clearer on what exactly is going on.

Last edited:

Chris Dawalt

Explorer
I use TeamViewer to remote access my PC and get into my FreeNAS that way. Maybe not the 'right' way to do it, but it is simple and it works.

James S

Explorer
I see absolutely no way that anyone would forward a port on a uni network to some random Freenas. You must mean that it's accessible from everywhere on the uni network?

If that's the case, yes you need something to protect your devices.
Yes! Thanks for the input. I better look into either trying to negotiate access to the router or put something in before the device. The low level of control is fairly typical of a lot of networks in the Far East (where I am). A blessing - I can put my box there but at the same time a nightmare since much that is 'standard' protocol doesn't exist or happen.

James S

Explorer
I use TeamViewer to remote access my PC and get into my FreeNAS that way. Maybe not the 'right' way to do it, but it is simple and it works.
I've been using SFTP net drive to map the connection to a local drive on my windows machine. Backups are run using Syncovery. Both connect via SSH using password protected keys over the internet.
So far it seems smooth but any reactions on security?

Status
Not open for further replies.