80% capacity alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBob

Dabbler
Is this warning critical?
WARNING: The capacity for the volume 'GATE_RAID' is currently at 80%, while the recommended value is below 80%.

What can be done, except for changing/Adding new HDDs?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Or removing data

DrBob

Dabbler
No way to clear system junk data or some other way of compacting? Adding a HDD is obvious, but not quite acceptable within the nearest time ;-)
What percentage is critical?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
There isn't any junk data, just your data. And compacting doesn't work here, that's like giving you a 5 gallon bucket and telling you to put 10gallons in it.

You don't want to go past 90% full. The warning happens at 80% so you have time to fix it before performance drops or you have other issues.

DrBob

Dabbler
Ok, I guess I'll need buying two more HDDs for the second mirror. Will I be able to extend the current volume to the new HDDs as well, or that will be a new seperate volume with separate permissions?

Are there any snapshot that you can live without?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Ok, I guess I'll need buying two more HDDs for the second mirror. Will I be able to extend the current volume to the new HDDs as well, or that will be a new seperate volume with separate permissions?
Yes it will extend automatically. Make sure to follow the steps in manual.

Hmm. I'm not THAT experienced with Freenas and Unix. How can I check this?
You would have to had setup snapshots. I would think you don't have any then. But you can check under Storage->Snapshots. (I think, not able to look at the GUI right now.)

DrBob

Dabbler
You would have to had setup snapshots. I would think you don't have any then. But you can check under Storage->Snapshots. (I think, not able to look at the GUI right now.)
As far as I can see, I have 3 snapshots with total size of about 3 Gb. All of them maked belonging to the jail I run for the torrent downloader

I guess that is not going to help any then. Sorry.

Peter Jakab

Dabbler
Hi,

I read that what is happend at 90% in freenas docu
http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_intro.html#zfs-primer
"At 90% capacity, ZFS switches from performance- to space-based optimization, which has massive performance implications. For maximum write performance and to prevent problems with drive replacement, add more capacity before a pool reaches 80%. If you are using iSCSI, it is recommended to not let the pool go over 50% capacity to prevent fragmentation issues."

So if you above 80%:
- Create new mirror (minimal redundacy but just for temporary) from two disk copy several content. For go below 80% when you have problem free possibility to swp disk for bigger one-by-one (don't forget follow FreeNAS docu what is needed before disk removal).
- Could build new zpool from additional disks
- Remove same Torrents (old movies :)
- Check folder size in volume main folder
Code:
df -k /mnt/yourvolume

I try to focus on bigger ones. Check 1st-3rd biggest folders inside with same command go down recursively. You will find many files forget or not needed any more. Example old backup for not more exist computers, pictures of old girlfrend what you hate it now etc.

Bye,
Jackson ideas for other people with same problem

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Will I be able to extend the current volume to the new HDDs as well, or that will be a new seperate volume with separate permissions?
You can do either, depending on how you want to manage your storage.

Assuming you have a single mirror vdev now (you didn't post zpool status so we can't tell), if you want to extend the existing volume, be careful to add the two devices together as a mirror vdev, rather than one at a time as individual stripe vdevs.

Tock

Dabbler
Just wondering if you have a 3 TB vdev which is 80% full, add another 3 TB vdev to the volume will FreeNAS shuffle those 80% to the other vdev so the share is 40% on each vdev or does it write any new data to the newer vdev until it matches (aka 80% on each vdev)?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
If I'm reading your question correctly...
AFAIK the balance of data across the existing Vdev (currently at 80%) and the newly added Vdev (empty)
will occur over time. I'm doing a search for a post I read several months back, I'll post a link if I can find it...

Found it HERE

edit: added link

Last edited:

Tock

Dabbler
Thanks for the fast answer^^.

An option to directly balance the data would be great in my opinion because currently the best option seems to be to create a new volume with a backup of the data if you upgrade your storage.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
because currently the best option seems to be to create a new volume with a backup of the data if you upgrade your storage.
If the issue of data balance across Vdevs is a "thing" with you:p
creating a new volume would take care of it;)

Status
Not open for further replies.