Alert System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAC

Contributor
I'm getting the flashing Alert button on my FreeNAS main screen and it shows the following when clicked.

WARNING: The capacity for the volume 'freenas-boot' is currently at 83%, while the recommended value is below 80%.

I'm booting FreeNAS off a USB drive which I understand FreeNAS is supposed to keep write only so it must be FreeNAS that is slowing adding some content to this drive.

Any comments on what might be going on?

Thnx,

-TAC

TAC

Contributor
I'm pretty sure it's 8GB. Can I check it without sticking my head in my server? :confused:

Even if I get a bigger one, since something is writing to it won't it fill up?

I should probably start a new thread, but what would be the best way to clone my FreeNAS boot USB drive to a backup or bigger drive?

jlpellet

Patron
When FreeNAS applies an update it will maintain the older version bootable. You can delete the oldest (or as many as you prefer) from the GUI via System > Boot then click on a volume then choose to delete it. I see little point in having more than 3 bootable volumes. Good luck.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Also, if you check under [System] - [Boot] in the GUI, you will see a list of boot environments. If you have several that you know you will never need to revert to, then you can choose to delete them.

I would recommend NOT deleting the "default", "Initial-Install" or one that shows "On Reboot, Now".

Here is a screenshot for reference:
upload_2016-1-30_8-28-18.png

TAC

Contributor
I've got 35 of 'em! I'll leave the default created 2015-01-31 and the 'On Reboot, Now' dated 2016-01-19, along with few more of the most recent one.

Oh, by the way from this screen I see my Boot Volume Condition is HEALTHY with a size of 14.9 GiB with 12.5 GiB (83%) used.

Thanks!

Mirfster

Yep, was just going to let you know that the size is shown in there too. :D

Seems like you have a decent size for the OS. Maybe you may want to consider adding a second USB as a mirror while your at it?

TAC

Contributor
Adding a second USB as a mirror is exactly what I want to do. Either a mirror I leave in the machine or a copy I can stick in a drawer if my primary has problems would be great.

My FreeNAS is busy 'deleting in bulk' right now but if I select one of the bootable versions is there an option to copy it to another USB drive?

Mirfster

Don't really need to. If you want to have a backup of you configuration, then in the [System] - [General] Section use the "Save Config" option. Then keep copies of those in secondary locations.
upload_2016-1-30_9-5-44.png

It is good practice to have this as part of your routine.

Mirfster

Forgot to mention, take a look at the "Scripts to report SMART, ZPool and UPS status, HDD/CPU T°, HDD identification and backup the config" that @Bidule0hm created (linked in my signature). It is a great addition to add and helps to keep you informed (as well as backing up the configuration for you).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I thought the devs had gone ahead with automagic cleanup of older environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.