8.3.0-beta1-x64 cannot connect with Win7 / CIFS for authenticated user

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvuchetich

Dabbler
I didn't see a ticket on this, but I wanted to see if others are seeing a similar issues, and ask what details would be helpful for reproducing this error so that it can get resolved in the 8.3 release.

I am trying FreeNAS-8.3.0-BETA1-x64.img.xz on a spare device to verify that I can set it up to meet my needs before setting up production hardware (currently have FreeNAS 0.7). I'll plan to use 8.2 on the production hardware until 8.3 is released.

On 8.3 beta, I was able to set up anonymous CIFS access, but could not set up authenticated access.

I followed the instructions in the online documentation (http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Windows_(CIFS)_Shares) and ran into the following 2 issues:
1. When creating the user, the user creation step failed if the directory was set to the newly created ZFS dataset (home directory). This same symptom was noted elsewhere in relation to AFP shares, and a workaround was to use the default folder (/nonexistent) at the time of user creation, then change it after user creation. This may be an issue in a python script, as the console message indicated an exception from the script.

2. The second issue was that I was unable to authenticate from MS Windows 7. From Windows Explorer, it was simply an access denied message. When using "net use", I saw "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied".

Since this was spare equipment, I wiped the boot disk and replaced it with a new install of FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64.img
I followed the same instructions (all from scratch - clean FreeNAS install, newly created ZFS pool). I did not run into the user creation issue, and I was able to the authenticate against the share with the same Windows 7 PC, so these 2 issues appear to be related either to an error I made somewhere in the process, or to changes in 8.3 beta1.

Since the original install was wiped, I would be happy to recreate the issue - let me know if there are specific logs that would be helpful in troubleshooting, as I am not familiar with the scripting in FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.