8.1 Release Date (Now 8.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmacka88

Patron
Anyone have any ideas when the release of 8.1 will be. Should be a good improvement.
:)

marcusmarcus

Explorer
They're still working on 8.0.1 which is still in beta, then it will have a RC and then a final Release. Once 8.0.1 is Released, they should be able to better set a date for 8.1.

tmacka88

Patron
Sorry jumped the gun there. I ment any idea when 8.0.1 will be released.

Cheers

royemans

Cadet
I sincerely hope so if the devs want users to take this OS seriously.
Especially now with ixsystems involvement.

gaelic

Dabbler
The release was at least postponed a month. And the ticket bar is definitely updated.
My 2c: a little delay is ok, bugs in a high, availability storage system have to be solved before shipping.

seer_tenedos

Dabbler
Personally i would prefer plugin support than an extra built in webserver. That way someone else can build a webserver plugin along with all the other features people want like media streaming, databases, downloaders etc etc. Is plugin support still planned for 8.1? It would not happen to already be in the nightly's would it by any miracle? I know that would cause me to move to nightly builds if i could get may apps to run as plugins and not have to do all the manual hacking i do now to get webservers, database and downloaders working.

Gnome

Explorer
Web server or external USB HDD support coming in 8.0.3? Please? :)
Web server would rock.
And external USB HDD support would too for an automatic backup to it.
It would rock for YOU. I would HATE it however and look for a way to remove it. It already runs 1 web-server, the last thing I want is a tomcat running on my NAS. I work in the programming industry for a living and I've seen what happens when you turn a server into a multi-purpose server.

Some people *might* want to turn their NAS into their home entertainment system, into their personal web-server, into their own cloud computer. Many don't. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with a NAS.

I'm sure there are others, like me, who feel that adding web-servers and what not would totally ruin the device. Each time something is added maintenance becomes more complex, image sizes increase, stability lowered, etc.

As for USB HDD support, the same applies IMHO, ZFS offers snapshots. USB hard-drives don't offer redundancy, they don't offer data integrity. Only a home user that doesn't care about 100% data integrity would make backups to a USB hard-drive. There is a reason companies make use of tape drives and not USB hard-drives for backups ;)

Personally i would prefer plugin support than an extra built in webserver.
Agreed, a lot of people don't want their NAS to server 10 000 different functions. Adding bloat because a couple of people want it that way would be a terrible way for FreeNAS to go.

rnicolas

Explorer
It would rock for YOU. I would HATE it however and look for a way to remove it. It already runs 1 web-server, the last thing I want is a tomcat running on my NAS. I work in the programming industry for a living and I've seen what happens when you turn a server into a multi-purpose server.
Multi-Purpose servers may not work as it should if you have it running multiple services. But you don't necessarily have to enable those services if you don't need/want them. In my case I would use multiple freeNAS servers for different purposes. One as a NAS, one as File Server, and one as Web Server.

I'm sure there are others, like me, who feel that adding web-servers and what not would totally ruin the device.
I would have to disagree with you. Adding a web-server would not ruin the device by any stretch, in fact, it would make it more desirable for those who would like to use it as a web server, and perhaps, have another freeNAS to use as a NAS like yourself.

As for USB HDD support, the same applies IMHO, ZFS offers snapshots. USB hard-drives don't offer redundancy, they don't offer data integrity. Only a home user that doesn't care about 100% data integrity would make backups to a USB hard-drive. There is a reason companies make use of tape drives and not USB hard-drives for backups ;)

I agree with you, and I will take back that comment, it's not really necessary to add USB support other than the USB boot device.
RSYNC works much better.

Gnome

Explorer
Multi-Purpose servers may not work as it should if you have it running multiple services. But you don't necessarily have to enable those services if you don't need/want them. In my case I would use multiple freeNAS servers for different purposes. One as a NAS, one as File Server, and one as Web Server
What is the difference between a NAS and a file server?

Why would you want a NAS OS for a web-server if that is all the NAS is going to do? There are already purpose built OS, RHEL/CentOS/Ubuntu Server/etc. etc.

Do you want to serve HTML on the web-server? Or server-side applications?

rnicolas

Explorer
What is the difference between a NAS and a file server?

Why would you want a NAS OS for a web-server if that is all the NAS is going to do? There are already purpose built OS, RHEL/CentOS/Ubuntu Server/etc. etc.

Do you want to serve HTML on the web-server? Or server-side applications?

I suppose there isn't much of a difference between a NAS and a File Server unless you use your NAS as only a Network Attached Storage (NAS) with no shares, to backup the other servers.

I've tried CentOS but I would prefer freeNAS because of its simplicity.

I would like to serve HTML for my webserver.

seer_tenedos

Dabbler
Does anyone happen to know if the 8.1 or 8.2 nightly's happen to have plugin support? Maybe i could use that to tie me over till it is released

wase

Cadet
Does anyone happen to know if the 8.1 or 8.2 nightly's happen to have plugin support? Maybe i could use that to tie me over till it is released

They do actually, but i can't seem to figure out if it is working... it has to be in PBI-packages with a SHA256 checksum - however i haven't been able to find any downloadable PBI packages with that to install, hence i cannot activate the plugin service.... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13556869/Skærmbillede 2011-12-15 kl. 18.31.08.png

could anybody link me to some useable PBIs?

seer_tenedos

Dabbler
Thanks guys this looks great!
was that 8.1 or 8.2 that had the plugin support that we don't know if it is working or not?
Also i understand that those versions are under development and anything could break on them but very little of the work should be on the existing core feature right and mostly new stuff and bug fixes. trying to work out if it should generally be safe to use without data loss. Been a little unstable or needing to reinstall etc is fine as long as i don't loose data. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.