4GB more than I'll ever need for boot drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucien

Dabbler
I saw a nice compact usb drive in the shops which looks ideal for use as a "plug and forget about it" device to boot FreeNAS from, but I was wondering which size drive I should get. The only spare drives I have at home are 1 GB in size, which I know isn't big enough.

I have a choice between buying a 4 GB drive and a 8 GB drive, and the price differential is pretty small. So I figured that if at some point down the road FreeNAS might need more than 4 GB for a boot drive (plugins?) I might as well pick up the 8 GB one. But is that likely to ever happen? Or will 4 GB be more than I'll ever need?

Milhouse

Guru
4GB will be more than you'll ever need. When plugins are supported, they'll be installed to your storage pool (eg. /mnt/tank/.freenas) not the boot media.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
4GB is *probably* more than FreeNAS will ever need, based on current statements by the developers. However, a year ago, they were saying install-on-1GB-devices, and then changed that to 2GB. If they were to change their minds and go to a larger image, say 4GB, it might not fit on some so-called 4GB devices, so the extra space isn't necessarily a horrible thing. Further, if you ever decide to ditch FreeNAS, being locked into a FreeNAS-sized device might be a downside. For a small price differential, you MIGHT want the larger device.

dannyb78

Explorer
buy a 4GB device, we are talking about spending 10USD... if in future you'll need more space you'll buy a new device.
This should be a good idea in case of a major upgrade release cause in the "old" device you still mantain the old working system for use in case of need (eg problems with new rel) ;)

Lucien

Dabbler
Boy, lots of good advice...

The price difference *is* seriously small. There's a local place selling the 8 GB unit for what other places are asking for the 4! Not too surprising as USB drives are commodity items nowadays, and 4 - 8 GB is the "low end" of the market. The catch is they're out of stock for another week or so, but I should be able to wait - still waiting on some other bits to arrive. (Makes me wonder what my 128 MB unit is good for nowadays :p)

Is it possible to clone one USB device to another? I can't really think of why I'd want to do that right now, but I'm curious as to if it'd be possible.

warri

Guru
Under Linux dd is capable of cloning an usb stick incl. all of it's partition to any other storage medium you like.
I could imagine that such tools also exist for Windows and Mac.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, for Mac, it's even called ... dd. Who-dd-athunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.