4GB above 4GB ignored!!?? on an 8Gb RAM system

Status
Not open for further replies.

globus999

Contributor
Oh man, I really had it with BSD!

I am running FN8.0.1B4 with a brand new mobo / memory (all quality stuff).

The BIOS sees 8Gb RAM OK.

However, when the BSD loader displays the info it says something about

4Gb above 4Gb ignored (this message is not captured in dmesg)

and then

real memory 8 Gb
available memory 3.3 Gb

System Processes read

Mem: 52M Active, 19M Inact, 84M Wired, 4780K Cache, 89M Buf, 3217M Free

So which one is? is BSD seeing 8Gb or 4Gb??

Oh, BTW the GUI does not seem to be working either. I don't get anything under reports, other than capacity utilization on the raidz1...

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

torrin

Are you using the 32bit or 64bit version? It sounds like you are running the i386, which only supports 32bit (3.2GB of memory).

Move the the AMD 64bit version and it will happily eat all 8GB of memory.

globus999

Contributor
Are you using the 32bit or 64bit version? It sounds like you are running the i386, which only supports 32bit (3.2GB of memory).

Move the the AMD 64bit version and it will happily eat all 8GB of memory.

Good question!

I am using i386... soo... I should be installing:

FreeNAS-8.0.1-BETA4-amd64.iso

correct?

FYI: I am doing a new install.

torrin

Good question!

I am using i386... soo... I should be installing:

FreeNAS-8.0.1-BETA4-amd64.iso

correct?

FYI: I am doing a new install.

Yup, once you move the the amd64 you are golden. It is a bit wonky that they call the 64bit version AMD, but i386 implies 32bit and AMD (Being the first 64bit processor) gets named in the 64bit version. AMD and Intel Processors are microcode compatible, so unless there are CPU specific modifications, AMD compiled releases should work on any 64bit Intel.

globus999

Contributor
Yup, once you move the the amd64 you are golden. It is a bit wonky that they call the 64bit version AMD, but i386 implies 32bit and AMD (Being the first 64bit processor) gets named in the 64bit version. AMD and Intel Processors are microcode compatible, so unless there are CPU specific modifications, AMD compiled releases should work on any 64bit Intel.

Tx! I should be OK, running AMD Phenom II X4.

ProtoSD

MVP
That AMD bit got me a little mixed up too because for example with Ubuntu there's an i386, an i386/64bit, and an AMD version I think. Of course the logic about why the AMD version of FreeNAS still works with Intel processors makes perfect sense, it can be a little misleading for people used to other distributions / naming conventions.

joeschmuck

Old Man
It would be nice if they just call it FreeNAS-version-64-bit or FreeNAS-version-32-bit and dropped any other references. I know the references are directly related to compiling settings during the build process.

Status
Not open for further replies.