Status
Not open for further replies.

TinTIn

Contributor
This is a weird one and no biggy as its an issue on a test system but before I wipe it and go again I just wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Sorry running 9.3 Stable fresh install with just one pool and a couple of datasets I tried sharing one of the datasets as a windows share. So the dataset is Windows, the permissions are windows and I have shared the dataset as a windows share. CIFS is enabled. However if I try to map to the dataset or any dataset on this server old or new via smb://..... It fails. Doesn't ask for authentication just so no such access. However keeping everything the same but using CIFS://.... all works perfectly.

I've tried changing the max supported protocol from the CIFS menu from smb2 to smb3 and back down turning CIFS off and then on again but same results. I've rebooted the system a few times. I've reset the config to factory settings and even booted the OS from the initial install snapshot but no of these fix the issue. I have this working on a few other systems so I'm quite confident with the procedure and that I haven't missed anything hence my only fix now is a wipe and go again but leaving the pool so will import after.

PS: I'm mapping the share from a Mac hence SMB or CIFS prefix. I happily do this smb map to the other test servers from the same Mac and have tried a couple of different Macs so it's definitely the server.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The problem right now is that SMB3 is a bit experimental all around.

Windows 8 and 8.1 added features, the corresponding server versions added a few more, too. Meanwhile, Samba 4 is still catching up and SMB3 support is mostly experimental. And Apple's implementation also seems to behave rather oddly more often than it should.

TL;DR - SMB2 is the most stable option right now.

TinTIn

Contributor
Thanks Eric. Do you think me switching SMB3 support on and then turning it off when it didn't work broke it? Can't understand why a complete config reset and initial install wouldn't have fixed that?

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks Eric. Do you think me switching SMB3 support on and then turning it off when it didn't work broke it? Can't understand why a complete config reset and initial install wouldn't have fixed that?

That part is weird, missed it the first time. One of the debug files (Samba log?) might have error messages related to unsupported protocols, which should give you a clue as to where the problem lies.

TinTIn

Contributor
For info a complete wipe fixed this then I imported the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.