Dataset type Windows or Unix for using with CIFS share

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgh333

Cadet
I know that should be self explanatory, but what difference does it make? Can I choose Unix and apply Unix permissions to a folders I intend to use for CIFS share? The only reason I ask is I have had a system for years, probably from the beta and 0.7 days. Pretty sure everything I created back then is still the same or I might have redone it with zfs going to .7, so unix datasets, unix permissions, the "use local account" option thats gone, etc. Haven't had any issues till 9.3 when I added a new user and they didn't get added the the smb4 add accounts. Then no idea why, but it all started working.

So does it matter if I choose windows for share type in the dataset and windows permission type, or can I use unix for both and still add it as a cifs share? I actually prefer to manage file permissions via linux cli.

thanks,

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I know that should be self explanatory, but what difference does it make? Can I choose Unix and apply Unix permissions to a folders I intend to use for CIFS share? The only reason I ask is I have had a system for years, probably from the beta and 0.7 days. Pretty sure everything I created back then is still the same or I might have redone it with zfs going to .7, so unix datasets, unix permissions, the "use local account" option thats gone, etc. Haven't had any issues till 9.3 when I added a new user and they didn't get added the the smb4 add accounts. Then no idea why, but it all started working.

So does it matter if I choose windows for share type in the dataset and windows permission type, or can I use unix for both and still add it as a cifs share? I actually prefer to manage file permissions via linux cli.

thanks,

You can use Unix datasets with CIFS. CIFS will use local accounts unless configured otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.