Clarification on changing dataset share type

Status
Not open for further replies.

trilepton

Dabbler
I have a dataset (share type: Windows) that is accessed by a CIFS share. I access the share initially from a Windows machine but now also from a Linux machine (as well Windows). According to this very informative thread, chmod and chown do not work on this share since it's using Windows permissions.

What exactly do I have to do to allow chmod and chown operations on the share from the Linux machine and clear out the previous permission set? (I understand this will complicate editing permissions from the Windows machine but all I need to do from Windows is read and write files). My guess is that I need to 1) change the dataset share type to UNIX, 2) change the data permission type to UNIX, 3) restart CIFS service

trilepton

Dabbler
I'm using Mint so it does support ACLs. It's just easier to work with chmod. And there are programs such as rdiff-backup that try to use chown and chmod and fail.

diedrichg

Wizard
Why not just change it to Unix permissions and change the permission settings in the GUI, no need to mess with cmd.

From Windows you will need to connect to CIFS with the user who is trying to access the dataset.

Status
Not open for further replies.