3 updates in 3 days with the same changelog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerh

Guru
Isn't it more the granularity of the updates than the number of fixes you are complaining about? I am not sure why one should complain, you can save them all up for a couple of months if you prefer doing it that way.

J

jkh

We've been "polishing the rock" since we released FreeNAS 9.3, and the beauty of the new update mechanism (and the ChangeLogs, when they work!) is that you don't have to apply every update, just the ones that appeal to you (or defer updating for awhile and just get everything at once). That said, we are now slowing down - the last flurry of updates was just to figure out what was wrong with the changelogs and fix a few issues along the way. Going forward, we'll probably only release an update every 30 days or so.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Thanks Jordan for the posts, I do appreciate them. I'll check for the update and load it up.

Cheers

J

jkh

You're welcome. Let me also take this opportunity to point out that a fair percentage of the updates have been Security releases, and we're trying to figure out some convention or means for tagging those specially. You've all no doubt read about the latest OpenSSL vulnerability about to be disclosed later this week, for example, and when it's finally released you can bet nobody is going to be complaining about "the insane amount of stable updates" but rather "when is there another update to FIX THIS?!" (and there will be). Samba has also had a bad quarter from a security perspective, and that accounted for at least one update on its own.

Fraoch

Patron
I'm not sure if this recurred or not. Last night I updated to 201503200020, it had a new changelog that included the OpenSSL fixes. I didn't receive an e-mail first (this was not unexpected, they're sent out at 3 AM and this was well before that), I just used the "check now" button.

This morning there was an update e-mail with the same changelog. I updated to 201503200528. Clearly a different update, spaced several hours apart, but the same changelog. However since these were so close, and since I wouldn't have seen 0020 if I hadn't used the "check now" button I would have missed 0020 entirely. I'm wondering if there was a quick fix to one of the items in the changelog and it was reissued?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't know. I upgraded my Mini last night, rebooted, and found there was another update pushed within about 30 minutes of me updating. I haven't updated yet because I was going to ask about the changelog stuff here at iX since it seems... confusing.

J

jkh

I'm not sure if this recurred or not. Last night I updated to 201503200020, it had a new changelog that included the OpenSSL fixes. I didn't receive an e-mail first (this was not unexpected, they're sent out at 3 AM and this was well before that), I just used the "check now" button.

This morning there was an update e-mail with the same changelog. I updated to 201503200528. Clearly a different update, spaced several hours apart, but the same changelog. However since these were so close, and since I wouldn't have seen 0020 if I hadn't used the "check now" button I would have missed 0020 entirely. I'm wondering if there was a quick fix to one of the items in the changelog and it was reissued?

That is precisely what happened. Unfortunately, due to the cumulative nature of ChangeLogs, if an update needs to be re-rolled for any reason yet you still want the new update to represent "the full update", you get a doubling of ChangeLog entries. The fix for this, which I'll institute for any future cases like this, is to back out the previous update before doing the re-roll. I've asked sef to add a new rule to the Makefile for doing this so I don't need to remember the arcane commands involved (and when it happens, it always happens after midnight sometime when there's nobody around to ask ;) ).

Fraoch

Patron
OK thanks Jordan!

avalon60

Guru
I have been getting the same updates as well for the last couple of weeks. When I go to updates in FreeNAS Gui, it either downloads the same ones or says there are no updates, which of course is correct if they are already installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.