3 updates in 3 days with the same changelog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fraoch

Patron
I received an "update available" e-mail yesterday and updated. This was after another update two days ago.

Today there's another update, but I noticed that the changelog was the same as the one two days ago - there were some amusing lines which caught my attention:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/interesting-changelog.28346/

and they've appeared again.

I usually don't notice the changelogs so I'm not sure if this is correct behaviour, but it seems odd. I dug into my deleted items and sure enough, the changelogs are identical, line for line.

The WebUI does show updates pending and will allow me to update, but the identical changelogs make me suspect something might be wrong.

No one else is reporting this so maybe I should just go ahead?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I received an "update available" e-mail yesterday and updated. This was after another update two days ago.

Today there's another update, but I noticed that the changelog was the same as the one two days ago - there were some amusing lines which caught my attention:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/interesting-changelog.28346/

and they've appeared again.

I usually don't notice the changelogs so I'm not sure if this is correct behaviour, but it seems odd.

The WebUI does show updates pending and will allow me to update, but the identical changelogs make me suspect something might be wrong.

No one else is reporting this so maybe I should just go ahead?

Supposedly, a single build was accidentally from the development branch (@jkh says nothing bad made it in, though).

I could swear I'd already installed it, but my server kept bugging me. Installing it now to see what happens.

Fraoch

Patron
OK if there's something screwy we're both screwed then, I'll go ahead too.

Fraoch

Patron
Seems fine?

My last 3 boot environments are now:

FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503120630
FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503130626
FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503131809

Though the update e-mails are a great idea, I hope I don't see one for a few days.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I just updated and no new updates are available now.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I just updated as well with no more updates available.
Something wierd though...
System information tab now lists;
Build FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503131709
But the boot tab lists the "On Reboot, Now" as FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503131809
I would think these should match, no?

Fraoch

Patron
Huh. Yeah, same thing here.

Do the boot environment listings show the date and time of installation?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Huh. Yeah, same thing here.

Do the boot environment listings show the date and time of installation?
screen-shot.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Same here. What's odd is that the time stamps are exactly one hour apart...

J

jkh

People need to clarify whether they're seeing ChangeLog duplication / weirdness in the GUI, or if it's in the emails that get sent. The last few updates have looked correct in the GUI to me, but I've heard that the emails are not being generated properly (I don't have my systems set up for alert emails, due to spam filtering issues, so I can't personally verify that) and this is being investigated under the umbrella of one of the bugs which are currently open.

We also had some temporary build issues (which I've already described) and a bug in the ChangeLog handling itself, which has also been fixed. Beyond that, and the possible email alert problems, I know of no bugs with the ChangeLog handling so if anyone sees anything in 9.3-STABLE-201503150158 or later, please file a bug!

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
As of yesterday, the update "ID" numbers did not match
up (see my post above) BUT, this has been corrected since
9.3-STABLE-201503150158 update this morning.
On my machine both the System Information tab and
the Boot tab are showing 0158 (matching)

Fraoch

Patron
Got another update e-mail this morning showing the same changelog. The web GUI is showing an update with the same duplicated changelog.

Perhaps this is unrelated, but the web GUI is not showing any pending updates - I have to select "check now" to see them and even after checking, no pending updates are shown.

I'll update tomorrow to (I assume) 201503150158 and if these errors persist, I'll file a bug. Thank you for looking into this Jordan!

MtK

Patron
Hey,
I'm not getting any emails about the updates, but whenever I go into the Updates tab I see no updates pending, but when I click Check Now, I get the same updates available:
Code:
Upgrade: base-os-9.3-STABLE-8c6b112-9fd48ae-2e9addd -> base-os-9.3-STABLE-5f45c6f-c9242cc-2e9addd
Upgrade: FreeNASUI-9.3-STABLE-8c6b112-9fd48ae-2e9addd -> FreeNASUI-9.3-STABLE-5f45c6f-c9242cc-2e9addd

Clicking OK starts the process (at least WebUI-wise) but doesn't really update anything...

My correct version is:
FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503131709

joeschmuck

Old Man
There is also no changelog file on the server but I did submit a bug report for this and Jordan said he was testing this out. I still don't know what changed this morning but I think I'll wait for things to settle down before making another upgrade.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I updated this morning. I'll complain in the morning if I wake up to a "FreeNAS Update is available" e-mail. :p

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
All seems in order now.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Another update :confused:

Guess I'll apply this one since there is a changelog file.

J

jkh

I just released another update that should fix the last of the ChangeLog issues in the UI. The email thing still needs some work - we need to rip its leg off and beat it with its own leg until it starts behaving, but the problem is at least benign. Probably one more update to fix that, but I've rolled
FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503170439 to fix the ChangeLog handling along with some other very useful fixes, so go for it. The ChangeLog for that one is here, if anyone wants to compare. Thanks!

MtK

Patron
I just released another update that should fix the last of the ChangeLog issues in the UI. The email thing still needs some work - we need to rip its leg off and beat it with its own leg until it starts behaving, but the problem is at least benign. Probably one more update to fix that, but I've rolled
FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503170439 to fix the ChangeLog handling along with some other very useful fixes, so go for it. The ChangeLog for that one is here, if anyone wants to compare. Thanks!
Thanks for that!
It would be nice if you could also shed some light about the (insane) amount of updates on a, so called, STABLE release...

Status
Not open for further replies.