Status
Not open for further replies.

TinTIn

Contributor
Hi All, I guess Im being really silly but I can't figure it out so would appreciate any advice.

Im running FreeNAs-9.3-Stable on an old test server HP ProLiant.

I have several test users and Im wishing to create individual Datasets per user and grant permissions accordingly.

Problem is when I say the share is Windows and therefore the permissions are Windows automatically Read & Execute access is granted to the 'Other' category meaning that any users on my FreeNAS box can view another users data so long as they map the share correctly. That can't be right? If I set the share to UNIX and Permission to UNIX I can untick the Read & Execute box in the 'Other' category however I don't want to do this as its a Windows share and Im not sure what issues this would create further down the line.

Look forward to your responses.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Step 1: Set up the datatsets and their owners.
Step 2: Create the shares. Sane default permissions are created.
Step 3: From a Windows machine, edit the shares'/folders'/files' permissions like you would for any local or Windows-networked file.

TinTIn

Contributor
Thanks Eric, I'll give that a go.

When setting up the dataset Owners should I leave root as the Owner and give the user access via the Group or set both Owner and Group to the users name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No, change both to the desired user and their group.

TinTIn

Contributor
That's Eric, that worked great. Really appreciate your time on this. I assume there is no way to ask a sub Datasets to inherit the permissions set by the parent when it comes to this Windows permission issue? Ie do I need to do this step 3. on every Windows Dataset? Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Setting the "recursive" option on the parent should do that.

TinTIn

Contributor
No I tried that and is doesn't seem to stick. After you click change and then go back in the Dataset permissions its reverted back. I've even tried creating a new Dataset at the highest level. Thanks anyway.

Out of interest what issues you you think I would see if I created Unix datasets with Unix permissions but offered them up as Windows shares? Most my clients will be Mac or PC.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Permissions would be screwed up. Samba may throw a fit, I guess, but it's not something that's been tested.

TinTIn

Contributor
Ok. Thanks Eric. You have helped massively.

Status
Not open for further replies.