1MB/s freenas (have searched and tried the obvious)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chug

Dabbler
Not too up on all this if I'm honest, managed to get it up and running, but transfers seem to go at around 1.28-1.5MB/s which when trying to load a TB of data is just useless.

The network should be running at 100Mb/s? So should get 10MB/s from what I've read?

I picked up an Intel pro gigabit card (as most issues on here pointed to that) plugged it in and it made no difference at all. Checked all cables are cat5e.

Everything is plugged into the adsl modem which brings in the internet and sends it out via wired dlan units that plug into the mains. The nas is plugged direct into the modem, no dlan thing.

If I bring the NAS upstairs and take the modem/router out of the equation. Then plug it into an old switch/splitter type unit, I can get the 10MB/s. Which'll do for the moment, all I want to use it for is a media server.

When it is downstairs and I'm not copying files over, 3 things can be streamed at once to different computers without issues, although I haven't tried full 1080 HD files.

The nas is just an old core 2 duo 1.8ghz, 2GB of ram, and 2 1TB sata HDs with no raid. Other computers are just windows 7.

I've tried the tunables and that which didn't seem to make a difference, except after running for a couple days it had to be restarted then went to 300kp/s so I took them all off to get back to the 1.2MB.

Feels like something obvious I've missed, if anyone has any ideas it would be lovely. Planning on putting the nas into a vintage radio, got to get it working first.

warri

Guru
As I am understanding your network structure looks like:
NAS <-- wired --> MODEM <-- dlan --> CLIENT(s)

And your second test configuration:
NAS <-- wired --> SWITCH<-- wired --> CLIENT(s)

Then the dlan connection is the bottleneck..

Chug

Dabbler
Cheers for the reply, could it also be the modem?

The Dlan units should be capable of 15-20MB/s and have the 100Mb/s lights lit up implying they should at least do the 15-20MB?

Is there anything else I could check?

warri

Guru
I have no experience with DLAN, but to rule out the modem you could try connecting your NAS to the switch via LAN, switch to the DLAN adapter and also switch to the modem via LAN.
With this configuration, NAS and clients are connected via the switch and dlan, and the modem just sits there for internet access.

If this doesn't improve the transfer speed, the dlan connection most likely is the cause and you could maybe try choosing different AC sockets for the adapters and see if that improves anything.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
100Mb can't do more than about 12MB/sec theoretical. Your DLAN is almost certainly your limitation.

You need to look into your network hardware more. Somewhere something is bottlenecking your connections. Just don't confuse MB with Mb.

Chug

Dabbler
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I understand the difference between bits and bytes, the 10 would do at the moment. Did get me at first I have to admit!

Apologies Warri, the layout you have stated in your first post is correct.

Does seem the Dlan is the problem, although I haven't any issues with it previously. Seems a bit strange since it is rated to do a hell of alot more than 1.5MB/s.

I tried to wire the switch to the dlan modem input on the switch when I tried the freenas to computer, but the client which I needed to use couldn't pick up the internet from it Assumed that was an issue with the switch. I also tried fitting the intel nic to the client with the dlan and client plugged into the nas via the mb input, but still couldn't get internet while copying at the 10mb/s.

If its able to stream 3 things at the same time to seperate computers via the dlan and modem/switch, surely that means its reading at more than the 1.5MB/s it is writing that?

Chug

Dabbler
Well I gave in and took the HD I need to put in the NAS out the client, and put it in the NAS. Got it loaded up on the client as a share, started to copy over files expecting it to shoot up to proper speeds.

It was 6MB/s. Assumed that meant it was sending it through the client still?

warri

Guru
If you copy over the shares, it indeed might get transferred over the client. Do the copy operation via shell and you'll be more lucky.

Tatu

Cadet
Gzip in compression is not selected?

If you copy over the shares, it indeed might get transferred over the client. Do the copy operation via shell and you'll be more lucky.

Hi all

I had that problem too, but after switching to gzip compression i got performance boost from 10m bits/sec to solid 300 to even 400 m bits/sec, looking from webGui naturally.

Kr.

Tatu

Status
Not open for further replies.