SOLVED Internet capped to 1MB/s on Freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schuby

Dabbler
I've been pulling my hair out on this for the past hour and can't figure out what is wrong.

I shutdown my server earlier and moved it three feet away and reconnected everything the exact same way it was setup before. Now, for whatever reason, the maximum download and upload speed on the machine (and its jails) are capped at 1MB/s.

I have tried replacing the switch, numerous amount of cables, speed testing on computers on the same network, speed testing computers on the same switch, and restarted god knows how many times.

What can I do to locate the source of the issue?

Edit:

Forgot my machine details:

Lenovo TS140 Server (transplanted into a new case)
2x 16GB USB drives for boot
32gb ECC ram
5x 4TB HD's configured in a RaidZ2 configuration

I'm using the onboard NIC and had no problems reaching 150mbps (15 MB/s or so) for the past week.

eOcXp5j.png

As you can see the server was shutdown at 01:25 and booted back up at 01:45. No other device on this network is experiencing any speeds as low as my FreeNAS server is.

SOLVED: I fixed it. In case anyone else has similar issues, it relates to having an active AMT KVM session (using RealVNC) while the server is rebooting.

First I used:

Code:
sudo dmesg | grep em0

This returned:

em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection 7.6.1-k> port 0xf080-0xf09f mem 0xf7c00000-0xf7c1ffff,0xf7c39000-0xf7c39fff irq 20 at device 25.0 on pci0
em0: Using an MSI interrupt
em0: PHY reset is blocked due to SOL/IDER session.
em0: Ethernet address: 6c:0b:84:08:f6:6b
em0: link state changed to UP
em0: promiscuous mode enabled

Then I checked my interfaces with:

Code:
ifconfig

This returned:

em0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=40098<VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,VLAN_HWTSO>
ether 6c:0b:84:08:f6:6b
inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT <full-duplex>)

This made absolute no sense since the NIC obviously supports 1000baseT.

So I then tried forcing the media change:

Code:
em0: Media change is blocked due to SOL/IDER session.

There's that pesky 'SOL/IDER' thing again. After Google searching I found this thread:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-business-client-software-development/topic/392554

Specifically this post:

FNH8Tr7.png

It's interesting that this hasn't happened before, but as soon as I shut AMT KVM session off and ran "ifconfig em0 media auto" the em0 interface reconfigured from 10baseT to 1000baseT.

I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.