14.55 TiB Volume limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hung Phan

Cadet
Hi all. I’m new to the forum and new to FreeNAS. I have a questions about FreeNAS diskspace overhead.
I’m trying to build a new storage server with FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64 (80c1d35) to replace our existing Windows 2008 Storage server Essential. I’m building it with an HP DL180 G6 with an LSI SAS9211-8i adapter flashed with 19.00-IT firmware.
I have 8 x 4TB SATA drives that I want to create a volume as a VM datastore for a couple of VMware ESXi 5 hosts. The ESXi hosts and the FreeNAS server will be connected via 10G network.
FreeNAS is running off an 8GB USB flashcard. We’re planning to use RaidZ2.

When I try to create a volume with the 8 drives with RaidZ2, I got available Capacity: 14.55 TiB
That doesn’t seem right. 8 x 4 = 32 TB Total minus two parity 2x4 = 8. Avaiable space should be 24 TB minus some overhead FreeNAS reserved for swap and such. However instead of something a little less than 24TB what seems to be available was 14.55 TB.
How could this be? That’s a LOT of overhead if that was the case.

When I limit the volume to use 6 disks, the setting changes to RaidZ and the capacity remain at 14.55 TiB.
Is 14.55 TB some sort of limit for FreeNAS? I don’t see that mentioned anywhere.

Does anyone have any insights on this?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 217

gpsguy

In the attached picture, you selected the equivalent of a striped mirror. That's why you are only seeing ~14.6Tib.

Try grabbing the circular gizmo and putting all the drives on a single row (top row), with all 8 drives selected to give you a RAIDz2 volume.

The striped mirrors will probably give you better performance that RAIDz2. I'd do some benchmarking with both scenarios before committing to one or the other.

Hung Phan

Cadet
Oh thank you so much gpsguy! I didn't realized that you could use the gui that way. I drag them all to the top row and the capacity is now 21.82 TiB. A lot closer to what I was expecting. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.