11.2 update broke server

melloa

Wizard
Last night I'd applied the latest update to my back-up server. It rebooted and the Chelsio card wasn't working anymore. Management IP gone. Did a reboot from the console and noticed messages saying that the system was trying to write on a RO volume.
Couldn't capture the debug as I had to get it back working asap, so back to 11.1 U7 and all normal.
Anyone else with problems with the 11.2 U2?

ThreeDee

Guru
there are several threads about a few issues with new U2 update

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

melloa

Wizard
Many problems...

I've added two to the list. Now that my pool if back on 11.1, I'll see if I can get a small test server going. That way I can afford lose everything without tears' coming down on my face.

It is, but I didn't see anything on Chelsio drivers or anything mentioning that something will became RO - my assumption as dmesg displayed errors that couldn't write to a RO file.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It is, but I didn't see anything on Chelsio drivers or anything mentioning that something will became RO - my assumption as dmesg displayed errors that couldn't write to a RO file.
There were many changes with the latest release and it is possible that this is a previously undocumented bug.
Since you know that you can safely roll back to the previous version, if you are willing to go back to the new version to report the bug, it might be helpful. The new boot environment should still be on your system, just select it, then do the bug report then go back again to the previous version.

You might go to https://redmine.ixsystems.com/projects/freenas to look and see if there is already a similar problem reported.
If there isn't, you can (if you have not before) create an account there and then open a ticket through the UI.
Here are the directions:
https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/system.html#support

Then the developers can look into the matter.

melloa

Wizard
Since you know that you can safely roll back to the previous version, if you are willing to go back to the new version to report the bug, it might be helpful. The new boot environment should still be on your system, just select it, then do the bug report then go back again to the previous version.

Yes, I know, but with my data in it, I didn't want to risk, so will go the test server route.

More to come :)

melloa

Wizard
No luck in reproducing this behavior. Freshly install 11.2 U1 and upgraded. Chelsio continued working. Something wen't wrong with my other server's upgrade that broke the network, so will keep testing and open a ticket in case it happens again.