FreeNAS-11.2-U2 update stuffed up my system

ghostwolf59

Contributor
Hi,
A couple of questions....
2 days ago I updated freenas from 11.1 (latest) where I was silly enough to blindly changing stream to FreeNAS-11.2-U2 that I applied.

Initially everything seemed fine, but then I noticed that my Nextcloud still had some outstanding issues + as part of this I was foolish enough to run pkg update within the legacy jail in question and that broke nextcloud permanently + receive the common error
"

• PHP module GD not installed.

Please ask your server administrator to install the module.

• PHP modules have been installed, but they are still listed as missing?

Please ask your server administrator to restart the web server.

Once applied the entire installation have gone haywire - Most functionality on the gui is non responsive - cant see disks, can see jails etc etc - system just seem to ignore my requests - only a handful functions I actually can access under the new gui - I can still access the legacy interface where I can see *but not maintain my system *jails etc from.
Further to the problem is that freenas decided to delete my old installations going back to 9.10 all the way up to current installation * only ones left on the boot drive is versions from 11.1-U4 onward. Noticed that the "keep" flag was set to "NO" for all boot environments.
I have tried rebooting using earlier versions but they all come up with the new FreeNAS-11.2-U2 interface that runs like a dog with limited functionality *ie non responsive actions.

Now, my real question is this...
1. Under the new FreeNAS-11.2-U2 installation I opted out from upgrading my disks
2. Earlier upgrades going back as far as Freenas 9.10.STABLE have requested me to upgrade my disks on occasion, but I've lost track when and for what version I did this.
3. I have a bunch of saved configs going back all the way to Freenas 9.10.STABLE *onward, but as for the thumb stick I dont have a full backup falling back to *most recent version I potentially could fall back to is FREENAS 9.10.STABLE
As for configs I have pretty much every release backed up, but not sure if that would be enough to recover and revert back to the version prior to FreeNAS-11.2-U2

My thoughts is this... Since I never updated any of my disks under the latest release, would it be safe to reinstall *clean install* of an earlier version of freenas and then apply the saved corresponding config?

Not even sure if I can get hold of the iso of Freenas 11.1-U04 stable *that used to work fine - I do have a iso going back to Freenas 9.10.STABLE, but worried if the disk updates done over the time would screw things up even more if I attempted this.

btw. The new installation of FreeNAS-11.2-U2 dont even allow me to send a bug report or dump the logs - thats how bad it is

KrisBee

Wizard

ghostwolf59

Contributor
The Iso for earlier versions of Freenas can be found here if you need them: https://download.freenas.org/11/

This resource might help you decide what Pool upgrades you've done in the past and whether it's safe to roll back to an earlier version of FreeNAS:
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/zfs-feature-flags-in-freenas.95/
As for pools, u mean my installed disks or... I never had a dedicated pool to my knowledge other than n nbr of disks and some jails = on occasion my jails have tried to create cache areas on alternate disks, but I always removed it without any issues + the latest installation created a iocage on one my drives without even asking + dont want it there, but cant change it now due to system behavior.
I have a few legacy jails running though + but I dont think any of this have an impact - what worries me is the disk flag updates requested over time - not sure where I stand going back to an earlier boot version.
If nothing would affect my existing data across drives, installing an earlier version that I would be happy with that and take the steps from there - But(!) if disk flag settings results in an earlier version fucking up my data across drives, then that clearly would be an issue @ my end.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You are using wrong terminology or your system is actually configured in an unusual way.
Please share your zpool status

ghostwolf59

Contributor
You are using wrong terminology or your system is actually configured in an unusual way.
Please share your zpool status
cant at the moment due to system unresponsive - what terminology being wrong r u referring to? guess its the concept between disks assigned and cache areas...

Anyways, if you can give me some more specifics on what you want me to provide on my zpool *reading disks* then the best I could do for now is to try to login to the legacy interface and provide screen shots *and hopefully more* from there - that interface seem a lot more responsive but with lack of functionality

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
what terminology being wrong r u referring to?
This for a start.
zpool *reading disks*
Here are a couple references to help you get a grip on the words we use, just so we can clearly understand what everyone is talking about.

Slideshow explaining VDev, zpool, ZIL and L2ARC
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Terminology and Abbreviations Primer
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/
As for pools, u mean my installed disks or... I never had a dedicated pool to my knowledge
For example, this sentence makes no sense to me. I can't even begin to understand your meaning.
Please share with us, enclosed in code tags like this [code] your text [/code] so the formatting is retained, the output of the command zpool status which should look something like this:
Code:

root@Emily-NAS:~ # zpool status
  pool: Backup
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 03:31:34 with 0 errors on Sat Feb  9 13:58:28 2019
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        Backup                                          ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/2e919d3d-2c1a-11e9-af8b-00074306773b  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/2f292da6-2c1a-11e9-af8b-00074306773b  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/2fb95d07-2c1a-11e9-af8b-00074306773b  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/30514e6b-2c1a-11e9-af8b-00074306773b  ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-1                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/41d3312f-2c1a-11e9-af8b-00074306773b  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/426b7b47-2c1a-11e9-af8b-00074306773b  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/43029d18-2c1a-11e9-af8b-00074306773b  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/43aa9a5b-2c1a-11e9-af8b-00074306773b  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors