1 of my HDD wont be detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaloz

Dabbler
Hello, I am new to freenas and have a setup based on the older hardware recomendations.

Super Micro X9SCM-F
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
2x Samsung 8GB DDR3 1600 ECC UDIMM M391B1G73QH0-YK0 SuperMicro MEM-DR380L-SL02-EU16
2x 4TB WD red
PSU 700w (will be upgraded)

I have installed Freenas 11.1 to a 16gb usb stick and it boots and all. But only 1 of my WD red disks shows up when I go to Volume manager. I know both works since i have tested them serperatly in another computer.
Have tried searching, but havent found a case similar to mine (might be me mistyping when searching) or any topic with a solution for the problem. Not sure what is causing it.
I dont have a raid controller card. I have just plugged the HDDs into the motherboard.

garm

Wizard
Are you sure you installed to the USB key and not one of the drives?

Zaloz

Dabbler
Yes, I installed to USB before I had recieved my HDDs. And it booted without trouble. I checked in bios, and saw that 1 disk had 4000mb and the other had 0.0mb? But both disks was seen in bios.

pro lamer

Guru
What happens when you swap the drives with each other? Does the same drive fail each way? or the same bay fails?

Last edited:

Inxsible

Guru
Why would you want to upgrade it?
Have tried searching, but havent found a case similar to mine (might be me mistyping when searching) or any topic with a solution for the problem. Not sure what is causing it.
Have you tried different SATA ports? Your board has 6, if I am not mistaken. Try the other ports and see if any of those work.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Hello, I am new to freenas and have a setup based on the older hardware recomendations.

Super Micro X9SCM-F
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
2x Samsung 8GB DDR3 1600 ECC UDIMM M391B1G73QH0-YK0 SuperMicro MEM-DR380L-SL02-EU16
2x 4TB WD red

I have installed Freenas 11.1 to a 16gb usb stick and it boots and all. But only 1 of my WD red disks shows up when I go to Volume manager. I know both works since i have tested them serperatly in another computer.
I don't have a raid controller card. I have just plugged the HDDs into the motherboard.
You will have to troubleshoot systematically, first make sure your bios settings are correct.
Your SATA controller should be set to AHCI mode.
You are using two SATA cables to connect your drives to the MoBo, are they both good cables? Try switching them.
Try switching SATA ports on the board, IIRC there are a number of 6GBs ports and 3GBs ports. Identify them
using the MB MANUAL.
This Resource post may be of help.

Zaloz

Dabbler
Psu Will be upgraded to a gold rated psu, since the one i use now is a uknown 700w psu. Temporary.

I have tried different parts and cables, Will check settings in bios. It is the same disk that is missing after testing different cables and ports. Might be the disk that is defect. But ut spins up and i can see it in bios. But ut shows that it has no storage. 0.0 Gb

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Psu Will be upgraded to a gold rated psu, since the one i use now is a uknown 700w psu. Temporary.

I have tried different parts and cables, Will check settings in bios. It is the same disk that is missing after testing different cables and ports. Might be the disk that is defect. But ut spins up and i can see it in bios. But ut shows that it has no storage. 0.0 Gb
You had stated previously that you tested the drives in a different machine, what kind of tests where performed and what type of testing program was used?

Zaloz

Dabbler
I just plugged it in to see if it started spining and got noticed by Windows wich it did. But nothing more advanced than that. Dont have software to test it with.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I just plugged it in to see if it started spining and got noticed by Windows wich it did. But nothing more advanced than that. don't have software to test it with.
Many of the manufacturers have testing programs you can install on windows, check with the makers website to find the download and run a full diagnostic on BOTH drives.

Zaloz

Dabbler
Many of the manufacturers have testing programs you can install on windows, check with the makers website to find the download and run a full diagnostic on BOTH drives.
Ok, thanks for the tip. Will do that.

Zaloz

Dabbler
Well, now I have tried to run the WD diagnostic tool "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows". And the disk dont show up at all, It spins up and got power. But It doesnt show up in Windows even now. First time i plugged it in the windows machine, it came up as a new disk. But now it seems completely dead. So gonna ask the dealer to either fix it or get a replacement. Probably the second option.

aphexcloud

Cadet
hi if you connect the drive to a windows pc use "crystal disk info" this will give you the smart data for all drives in the windows system.

have you tried optimised defaults for the board.

can you conform: bios see's the drive and reports 0gb in bios?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Zaloz

Dabbler
Yes, i can comfirm that i can see the disk in bios and it says 0.0GB.

I connected it to my mac and used diskutility. There the disk came up instantly, but it got recognized as a seagate 4tb disk for some reason? I tried deleting partions on the disk, but stil it wont come up when i put it in the nas? Can it be the motherboard that has a fault? Also got a new disk from the seller, and the exact same thing happens...

Zaloz

Dabbler
sjZh5Lf.png

Here is a picture of the disk health in crystal disk. And now the windows pc detects the drive. But not my nas. 0.0gb in bios on the Supermicro Motherboard...

Zaloz

Dabbler
Well, I was just unlucky with my drives, had to send back 2 drives before I got a second drive that actually was working. All good now running smooth.

muV5zU5.png

Ta0ynax.png

Status
Not open for further replies.