BUILD My next FreeNAS build: reliable, expandable and easily maintainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdma

Dabbler
After many weeks of reading threads and posts, I've chosen the below parts for my next FreeNAS build. The usage scenario is home file server with max 3 users, with samba and AFP shares, automatic time machine backups form 3 computers, SFTP, a jail with plex server (with no transcoding as it will stream to a mac mini htpc) and probably another jail for automatic downloads. I won’t do any encryption, although I will do compression (default setting).
The focus is on reliability more than speed, although I’d like to max out what I can get from the drives. BTW I plan to add a second server on site for snapshots replication as well as an off-site backup.

So, here is the part list:
  • Supermicro X10SL7-F retail (MBD-X10SL7-F-O)
  • 4X Samsung DIMM 8GB, DDR3L-1600, CL11, ECC (M391B1G73QH0-YK0)
  • Intel Pentium G3260, 2x 3.30GHz, boxed (BX80646G3260)
  • Sea Sonic G-Series G-450 450W ATX 2.3 (SSR-450RM)
  • Fractal Design Define Mini (FD-CA-DEF-MINI-BL)
  • 6X Western Digital WD Red 3TB, 3.5", SATA 6Gb/s (WD30EFRX) in RAIDZ2
  • 2X branded 16GB USB stick (or a SATA DOM if I find one)
  • APC Smart-UPS 750VA LCD (SMT750I)
My concerns are about the CPU, I know that the Pentium is more than enough for a file server use, but will it still be enough when I will add another zpool with 6 drives in the future? And is a 450W PSU still adequate?
Anyway I though would be wiser to save money on the CPU and invest them in the memory.

A the beginning I also planned to add a pair of SSDs for the jails and to move the system data off the data pool, but then I thought I’d keep it simpler (and easier to maintain), and leave everything as designed (on the main pool). I’ll leave the drives always spinning anyway (APM=disabled, Standby=never), so I may as well leave system data and the jails on the drive and avoid the SDDs.

So, what do you think? Have I overlooked something?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
My concerns are about the CPU, I know that the Pentium is more than enough for a file server use, but will it still be enough when I will add another zpool with 6 drives in the future?
You could serve 50 zpools with a G3260 and hardly have it break a sweat. You're fine, unless you are doing some CPU intensive task (e.g., a couple streams of transcoding simultaneously).

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yup, looks good and will serve it's intended purpose well.

Someone has done thier homework...:D

CaptainSensible

Dabbler
All looks good.

Your CPU will be yawning.

I tested out my NAS with 5 PCs with a 48Gig BluRay movie. All were at different stages of the movie. My NAS CPU maxed out at 6%. Your CPU is similar.

Don’t use your freenas machine as a do it all.

Have a good main PC and build a good HTPC.

And a backup NAS.

4 Computers, thats it!

And an Amp and speakers and a huge TV screen.

ChriZ

Patron
A few points:
If you are planning to add another 6drive pool, then perhaps:
  1. You should reconsider the case. It is a great case, but you will have to buy a bigger if you need to add more drives.
  2. If you decide to add 6 more drives in the future, I am not sure that the 450w PSU can support 12 drives. Perhaps you should consider getting a bigger one? (e.g. a 550w ?).
My point is that getting a 12 drive capable case now and a bit bigger psu will save you future money.
Besides these, great build! ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
For 12 drives, the absolute minimum would be a G-550. Ideally, something around 650W would handle that comfortably. At 650W, you have a wider variety of good PSUs to choose from, including Seasonic X-650 and Platinum 650 and a number of SuperFlower units (mostly sold by EVGA).

xdma

Dabbler
Thank you all for the answers.

Someone has done thier homework...
I have indeed read a lot :)

Don’t use your freenas machine as a do it all.
I agree with that. I think that a file server should just... well... serve the files. The rest should be done by other dedicated systems.

Have a good main PC and build a good HTPC.
And a backup NAS.
4 Computers, thats it!
And an Amp and speakers and a huge TV screen.
Check, check, check and... check (7.1 and 51inch plasma, not huge, but big enough for us :D).

A few points:
If you are planning to add another 6drive pool, then perhaps:

1. You should reconsider the case. It is a great case, but you will have to buy a bigger if you need to add more drives.
2. If you decide to add 6 more drives in the future, I am not sure that the 450w PSU can support 12 drives. Perhaps you should consider getting a bigger one? (e.g. a 550w ?).

My point is that getting a 12 drive capable case now and a bit bigger psu will save you future money.
Besides these, great build! ;)

For 12 drives, the absolute minimum would be a G-550. Ideally, something around 650W would handle that comfortably. At 650W, you have a wider variety of good PSUs to choose from, including Seasonic X-650 and Platinum 650 and a number of SuperFlower units (mostly sold by EVGA).

Thank you for your advices. I should point out that I won't add the other 6 drives anytime soon, and I don’t like having a bigger PSU for nothing. The point is, finding in a couple of years a new LGA1150 CPU or compatible memory for this motherboard could be a pain (and expensive), that’s why I was more concerned about these components. Buying a bigger PSU and another case in the future won't be a problem and I can easily reuse these one.

Anyway I’ll do some math and check how much margin I have.

ChriZ

Patron
Well, finding a 12 drive capable case now, is going to add significantly to the initial cost, but a 550w Psu will cost only about $10-15 more. IMHO it is worth it, even if it ends up reused in a different future build.

PenalunWil

Contributor

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well, finding a 12 drive capable case now, is going to add significantly to the initial cost
Antec 1200 if it's available where you live (you don't list your location). Add 2 more of the hard drive cages and you've got a 12 drive tower chassis with excellent airflow. I've got 6 drives in mine currently but will be adding 6 more in the not too distant future.

xdma

Dabbler
Have you considered a rackcase with a good internal fan layout.
I would love it, but right now I have no space for a rack in our apartment. But I will definitely take into consideration when we will move into a bigger house.

Also that on board LSI 2308 gets quite hot ...
That is something I didn't consider. Thanks for the heads up.

Also this intel cpu although a little more expensive than the G series would serve you very well...
A little more expensive.... the price difference is exactly how much I pay for the 32GB of RAM...

Antec 1200 if it's available where you live (you don't list your location). Add 2 more of the hard drive cages and you've got a 12 drive tower chassis with excellent airflow. I've got 6 drives in mine currently but will be adding 6 more in the not too distant future.
Sorry, I didn't configure my profile yet. That is the case I would buy for 12 drives. It is in my wishlist.

Last edited:

ChriZ

Patron
Well, when I wrote "is going to add significantly to the initial cost" I wasn't thinking of an expensive rack mount chassis, I was also thinking about something like the Antec, or the Define XL.

Still, if you think about it getting an Antec 1200, plus a drive cage will cost $190-220, depending on the cage.
The define mini costs about $70. So it is an additional cost of $120-150, whereas the bigger PSU is only $10-15.
The word "significantly" was meant to compare the additional cost of a bigger case ($120-$150) versus the additional cost of a bigger PSU ($10-$15)

xdma

Dabbler
Still, if you think about it getting an Antec 1200, plus a drive cage will cost $190-220, depending on the cage.
I'm thinking about getting one when I will expand, not now.

The define mini costs about $70. So it is an additional cost of $120-150, whereas the bigger PSU is only $10-15.
The word "significantly" was meant to compare the additional cost of a bigger case ($120-$150) versus the additional cost of a bigger PSU ($10-$15)
Yes yes, I got it right :). In fact I said that I'm considering a bigger PSU now (but I'd like to do some math first...).

Harsesis

Explorer

xdma

Dabbler
I have a question about the boot device.
I keep reading that mirroring USB stick is not so useful: a USB stick will eventually fail and mirroring them is just a way to compensate this intrinsic unreliability. A SATA DOM or a small SSD would much more reliable.
I've also understood that a mirrored boot device is meant for availability rather than reliability. I mean, if you have no problem having the server down for the time necessary to switch the boot device, then there is NO problem. Am I right?
I've found the Supermicro 16GB SATA DOM SSD-DM016-PHI, which I like, for 51€. On the other hand I can buy a Transcend SSD370S 32GB (or other equivalent SSD) for 35-40€. Which one is best?

Thanks.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I have a question about the boot device.
I keep reading that mirroring USB stick is not so useful: a USB stick will eventually fail and mirroring them is just a way to compensate this intrinsic unreliability. A SATA DOM or a small SSD would much more reliable.
I've also understood that a mirrored boot device is meant for availability rather than reliability. I mean, if you have no problem having the server down for the time necessary to switch the boot device, then there is NO problem. Am I right?
I've found the Supermicro 16GB SATA DOM SSD-DM016-PHI, which I like, for 51€. On the other hand I can buy a Transcend SSD370S 32GB (or other equivalent SSD) for 35-40€. Which one is best?

Thanks.
Let me address most of these.

A pair of quality USB flash drives will actually do pretty well. There's not that much reading/writing that goes on, and my pair of Sandisk Cruzer Fits has been error free for over a year of 24/7 usage.

The main point is price. A pair of 16GB Sandisk Cruzer Fits (the community general recommendation) will be only approximately $10 *FOR THE PAIR*. This is vastly cheaper than other options (e.g., as you say, a DOM for 50 euro, is much more expensive). The reliability is certainly worse than a SATA DOM or SSD, of course, but I would not call it "unrealiable".

The trade off is the speed. It will take quite a while to perform updates (which are usually mercifully sporadic).

And in any case, your boot-device(s) in no way affects/harms your pool. Your data pool is a separate entity. Should you drop your boot pool, simply replacing it with a fresh boot device(s) is all you need, and you can re-import your existing data pool.

If price is important: definitely go with thumb drives.
If not wasting a SATA port is important: definitely go with thumb drives.
If performance is most important (at least for the times where you are booting or upgrading the boot pool), then you can get a SATA DOM or SSD.

Do I feel like I need a SATA DOM or SSD for mine? No. I'd rather have the SATA port open for expansion, and since I'm only so rarely booting/updating the boot pool, what the hell do I care? I use a boot pool consisting of two Sandisk Cruzer Fit 16GB drives. I have never had any error, CKSUM, or any other problem.

Z300M

Guru
Let me address most of these.

A pair of quality USB flash drives will actually do pretty well. There's not that much reading/writing that goes on, and my pair of Sandisk Cruzer Fits has been error free for over a year of 24/7 usage.

The main point is price. A pair of 16GB Sandisk Cruzer Fits (the community general recommendation) will be only approximately $10 *FOR THE PAIR*. This is vastly cheaper than other options (e.g., as you say, a DOM for 50 euro, is much more expensive). The reliability is certainly worse than a SATA DOM or SSD, of course, but I would not call it "unrealiable".

The trade off is the speed. It will take quite a while to perform updates (which are usually mercifully sporadic).

And in any case, your boot-device(s) in no way affects/harms your pool. Your data pool is a separate entity. Should you drop your boot pool, simply replacing it with a fresh boot device(s) is all you need, and you can re-import your existing data pool.

If price is important: definitely go with thumb drives.
If not wasting a SATA port is important: definitely go with thumb drives.
If performance is most important (at least for the times where you are booting or upgrading the boot pool), then you can get a SATA DOM or SSD.

Do I feel like I need a SATA DOM or SSD for mine? No. I'd rather have the SATA port open for expansion, and since I'm only so rarely booting/updating the boot pool, what the hell do I care? I use a boot pool consisting of two Sandisk Cruzer Fit 16GB drives. I have never had any error, CKSUM, or any other problem.
Let me endorse DrKK's opinion. I did try a pair of 8GB SanDisk Cruzer Fits and found that they were unreliable, but the 16GB Cruzer Fits have not given any trouble at all. I doubt that the size makes a difference; it's probably that the 16GB ones are a later design.

Status
Not open for further replies.