1 Failed Drive - 2nd Drive not visible

Status
Not open for further replies.

seedubya

Cadet
Hi

I have a box here that is running 8.0.4. It's booting from USB and has (had) 2 x 3TB drives which (I believe) were in a ZFS mirror config or some other mirror config When given it I found that it was not booting from USB due to the boot order having changed. I set the boot order correctly and it booted straight away but one of the 3TB drives had failed i.e. not being picked up by the BIOS and "ticking". It was stopping the machine from booting so I had to disconnect it. The machine then booted straight into FreeNAS.

When I enter the WebGUI and go to Storage the tab is blank. I can't see any information about drives, pools or anything else except in the L-hand column I can see the entries for the the two volumes that were created. I can't do anything with those, however. I'm a *nix novice but I can manage command line stuff if it's fairly clear.

I really need to get the data, if at all possible.

Any help or advice very gratefully accepted.

seedubya

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. Will do so and post results in a couple of hours.

Last edited:

seedubya

Cadet
camcontrol devlist - gives me
Code:
<ST3000DM001-9YN166 CC4B>     at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (ada0,pass0)
<Generic STORAGE DEVICE 0250>  at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (ada0,pass1)

zpool import does nothing

zfs list and zpool list return no results

Last edited:

gpsguy

Are you using IE? If so, try a different browser, like Firefox or Chrome.

What's the output of "zpool status"? If it returns something, please post it with "code" tags, to preserve the formatting of the results.

seedubya

Cadet
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Thank you for taking the time to help. It's very much appreciated.

No not using IE - Chrome here.

the output is as follows
Code:
%zpool status
no pools available
%

It has been suggested to me that perhaps both one hard drive is damaged and the boot usb is corrupt? Might this be the case? How might I recover that data in that event?

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't think it likely that a bad USB drive would cause this, though it'd be easy enough (if you have a spare flash drive) to do a clean install on that, upload your saved config database, and see what happens. It's looking to me like, contrary to what you thought, you hadn't set up a ZFS pool at all, though I'm not certain that FreeNAS supported setting up UFS mirrors.

What does
# fdisk -p /dev/ada0

return?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Hmmm. I think I'm about stumped. What I'd suspected was that you didn't in fact have a ZFS volume set up, and the fdisk output should have indicated that. However, since it looks the same as mine (which does have ZFS), that doesn't appear to be the case. I'm not sure what to try next.

Status
Not open for further replies.