Running 2 or more pools on the same network

roachthehuman

Dabbler
So after having some issues with migrating my OS to a new boot disk, I have gotten a 3 HDD 3 TB storage pool up and running, which I use for my home studio. The storage pool is accessed using the log in for the studio user (OSVSL) so myself and my roommate access the storage pool with the same log in on multiple computers. The pool is used for backing up art files and I use it to edit video from (instead of working locally I can move from PC to PC without having to move my data). It works pretty well for this.

I've since upgraded my NAS to accept more HDDs. I added a 1tb HDD to the rig to use as a "private" drive for tax info and phone backups and generally just stuff unrelated to studio work. I started a second storage pool, created another user (for me only, "ddye") and labeled the pool "private". I went into windows RUN and typed in the IP, I saw both pools, but when I go to log into "private" with "ddye" (which I have told FreeNAS to give permissions to) it worked the first time but decided I didn't want the PC to be able to access it without giving it my credentials again. I unmapped the drive and now it just keeps telling me that the network drive is already mapped under a different username. This is where everything gets screwy: My original drive, OSVSL, does not allow me to see what is in the drive, it just says the folder is empty (when I know know it isnt as I can see it from other PCs). Now I have to manually remap that one whenever I restart the computer when before it was always connected. But my second pool I cannot gain access to period. I cannot connect to it at all. It will not let me and I've been trying to figure this out now for 4 hours.

Things I have tried:
-admin powershell - deleted mapping with net user/ delete
-disconnected mapping through gui
-disconnected all mapping for both pools and manually reconnected
-restarted both nas and laptop about 124 times
-went into nas and changed the name of smb share and pool

All I want is a second pool that can only be accessed by me, preferably with a log in. Would it behoove me to simply add a second network port to my NAS and run the pool on a separate IP? What are my options? Anyone have these issues?

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 206
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 229

artlessknave

Wizard
windows is inflexible with drive mapping, you cannot use mutliple users for the same server iirc. giving ddye access to both locations would probably be easier. adding mnore network ports to fix permissions issues is...extreme, and you would be making everything WAY more complex by trying to bind smb shares to different interfaces