Byhve VM .iso not booting

Grinas

Contributor
Hi,

I want to test out the free SIEM OSSIM but when i try to loot the .iso i just the get efi shell in the vnc window. At first I assumed it was the kernel issue that is affect other linux distros such as Ubuntu 18 but this seems like a separate issue as this doesn't even boot to the initramfs just the shell below.
Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 20.13.57.png

when I go to "boot from file" there is no files to choose from.

Not sure what linux distro OSSIM is based on but it is either Debian or Ubuntu.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm running the latest version of freenas just updated a few hours earlier in the hope it would resolve the issue but it did not.

Grinas

Contributor

KrisBee

Wizard
Exit the EFI shell to use the "Boot Maintenance Manager" and then select "Boot from file" to locate and select your grubx64.efi file, if it exists.

Grinas

Contributor
Exit the EFI shell to use the "Boot Maintenance Manager" and then select "Boot from file" to locate and select your grubx64.efi file, if it exists.

Please see the first post as I have already said i have tired this but thanks for the advise anyway

KrisBee

Wizard
If you're working with AlienVault_OSSIM_64bits.iso, then it's debian based and the iso should boot in EFI or BIOS mode. It boots in vbox and qemu/kvm, but EFI booting does'nt work with bhyve, you don't even see the debian install menu. They have just customised the standard debian installer with their install own boot menu, preseed file, etc. So you can report the failure on their forums.

You'd have to use the CLI if you wanted to try to boot the iso in BIOS mode with bhyve in FreeNAS-11.1-U6, or you could try UEFI-CSM mode in FreeNAS 11.2-BETA3.

P.S. This thing is based on the old jessie release and would install kernel 3.16. If the di-i is an old version, then I wonder if that's why it fails to boot in bhyve.

Last edited:

Grinas

Contributor
nah gave up and decide to run freenas in ESXI. best decision i ever made.