ZPool rolled back to first snapshot after power outage

Chiaki

Explorer
So after a power outage one of my zpools seems to have rolled back to its earliest snapshot. I can't find any reason for this in the logs. All other ZPools are fine and show the current file state.

Any recommendations what I could try to fix this? I do have backups, but I want to understand what happened here.

I'm running TrueNAS Scale Angelfish, the ZPool in question is a RAIDZ2 with 5 SATA SSDs.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So after a power outage one of my zpools seems to have rolled back to its earliest snapshot.
That doesn't sound right, especially because pools don't have snapshots, datasets do. Can you provide more specifics of your datasets, used space, etc.?

Chiaki

Explorer
Sorry for confusing the nomenclature.
All of the datasets in this specific ZPool seem to have rolled back to 25th September 2022 when I've set up this particular TrueNAS Scale server.

TrueNAS Scale runs on bare metal. I have one NVMe SSD where virtual machines live, five SATA SSDs in RAIDZ2 that is used for SMB shares (which seems to have get rollbacked or something), and a single M.2 SATA SSD for the OS.

The NVMe datasets (virtual machines) get periodically replicated to the SATA SSD ZPool. In this case I can see a discrepancy of 176 GiB used space on the NVMe and 145 GiB used space on the SATA SSD ZPool.

One thing that is weird: I have a dataset on the SATA SSD ZPool showing about 4 GiB used space, but when I navigate there via shell I can't see any files there.

There are snapshots for the root dataset but if I try to create a clone it fails with `[EFAULT] Failed to clone snapshot: failed to create mountpoint: Operation not permitted` - no snapshots exist for the child datasets, even though there should be. New snapshots from the periodic snapshot tasks already got generated.

Scrub is currently running and at 50% now. No errors found yet.

EDIT: One of the datasets is even showing 1.55 TiB usage but when I navigate there via shell it also doesn't show any files.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I have a dataset on the SATA SSD ZPool showing about 4 GiB used space, but when I navigate there via shell I can't see any files there.
Sounds to me like a dataset/directory clash.

Destroy the empty dataset and you'll probably see your data re-appear. (if there are children, you'll need to rename it instead... handle the conflicting directory by copying over the content and then delete the directory and rename the dataset back)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
EDIT: One of the datasets is even showing 1.55 TiB usage but when I navigate there via shell it also doesn't show any files.
The chief suspect in situations like that is a directory with the same name as a dataset.

Fake edit: ninja'd, but be careful:
Destroy the empty dataset and you'll probably see your data re-appear.
Don't destroy any datasets that have some used space (more than a handful of kB), as that's not recoverable.

Chiaki

Explorer
Sounds to me like a dataset/directory clash.

Destroy the empty dataset and you'll probably see your data re-appear.

The chief suspect in situations like that is a directory with the same name as a dataset.

Fake edit: ninja'd, but be careful:

Don't destroy any datasets that have some used space (more than a handful of kB), as that's not recoverable.

Does that also explain why I do have datasets with files in there that were last modified on 25th September 2022?
What should I do about those then? What if some new data was written there already?

And when I destroy the dataset, could I break anything else by doing so? After destroying it, do I need to recreate it and all of the share and data protection settings?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, the safest option is to rename the datasets, e.g. add "-dset" to the end of the name to eliminate the collisions. You'll have everything mounted then, if it goes well and can sort through everything yourself.

sretalla