ZFS Z2 performance with respect to number of disks

Kiran Kankipati

Dabbler
Hi

I got a question on ZFS Z2 performance with respect to number of disks.
Let us assume each disk is 1TB in size put inside a ZFS Z2 pool.

Can you give me some insight about the overall read and write performance if configured
5x 1TB (Z2) vs
6x 1TB (Z2) vs
7x 1TB (Z2) vs
8x 1TB (Z2)

may I know which one is going to be faster ?
5 drives, or 6 drives, or 7 or 8 within the pool

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
RAIDz2, not ZFS Z2. The ZFS file system on disk is made up of one or more vdevs and each vdev can be either a mirror of two (or more) disks, or a vdev can be RAIDz1 (often simply called RAIDz), RAIDz2 or RAIDz3. Regardless of the configuration of each vdev in a storage pool, the pool performance is based (generally speaking) on the number of vdevs, not on the composition of an individual vdev in the pool. This is a very large generalization, but the rule is that each vdev has roughly the performance of a single member disk in the vdev.

The thing you should do is tell us what you want to do with your storage and ask us what the best pool configuration is. There are many forum members that use FreeNAS in their work environment and have a great deal of experience optimizing for various workloads.

z2Dylan

Cadet
RAIDz2, not ZFS Z2. The ZFS file system on disk is made up of one or more vdevs and each vdev can be either a mirror of two (or more) disks, or a vdev can be RAIDz1 (often simply called RAIDz), RAIDz2 or RAIDz3. Regardless of the configuration of each vdev in a storage pool, the pool performance is based (generally speaking) on the number of vdevs, not on the composition of an individual vdev in the pool. This is a very large generalization, but the rule is that each vdev has roughly the performance of a single member disk in the vdev.

The thing you should do is tell us what you want to do with your storage and ask us what the best pool configuration is. There are many forum members that use FreeNAS in their work environment and have a great deal of experience optimizing for various workloads.
If a single vdev has roughly the same performance as a single disk, then why are speeds improved with more disks in this test? https://calomel.org/zfs_raid_speed_capacity.html

sretalla